Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 15, 2012   #16
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

1 part chlorine to 5 parts water. Dip in and rise it off. The chlorine breaks the oils down, SUPPOSEDLY or ammonia is supposed to work, too, the same way, BEFORE you wash with water and soap. I haven't used it, I just read this tonight as I was looking at a hot pepper page on the 'net. Anybody ever try DE? it absorbs oil. It is used for oil spills and in high quality optometrists cloths for cleaning your glasses without scratching them. Just a thought...maybe a good experiment for someone to try.
Old October 15, 2012   #17
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I have used most of these tricks but if I really want to be sure, I use shaving gel. Not only does the alcohol break up the capsaicin but some have the aloe too which feels good also. The worst I have had was a seed from a super hot get in my eye, not even a gallon of milk helped. The good thing is it's only pain and there is no permanent damage!
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2012   #18
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Mato View Post
I have used most of these tricks but if I really want to be sure, I use shaving gel. Not only does the alcohol break up the capsaicin but some have the aloe too which feels good also. The worst I have had was a seed from a super hot get in my eye, not even a gallon of milk helped. The good thing is it's only pain and there is no permanent damage!
Only pain you say???? Wow...lol. However, given a choice between the burning from the capsacin and any possible permanent damage, I'll take the "temporary" pain.

However, I have an Aunt who worked in a factory processing hot peppers for more than 20 years almost daily when in season. She says that with constant exposure back in the day before people thought of using gloves, etc, the nerve endings in her hands are pretty much pooched. She can dip her hand in boiling water and doesn't feel the pain, and only knows she's being burned by the blistering skin. Dangerous problem to have in the kitchen.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2012   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A really bad tooth ache.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote