Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 24, 2015   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We used to eat at a place that was an Asian buffet. For years, the food was good there and they had boiled crawfish in a basic crab boil. I always ate my share. Then they sold to new owners that couldn't or wouldn't keep the quality the same. The crawfish they served looked the same, but you couldn't eat them. The meat in the tails was soft and mushy. In less than a year of new ownership, the place went out of business.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt I used to inspect kitchen hood fire extinguishing systems in restaurants.
It really put me off with wanting to eat out anymore.
One Dennys in San Antonio smelled like the sewer the whole time I was in the kitchen.
The drains were backed up and there was gray sewer water on the floor.
Another place was a so called high end five star joint for the rich in down town Austin.
The kitchen was filthy.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015   #18
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Here is the recipe I used for my last two delicious batches. You should adjust the ingredients according to how much peppers you use.

Hot peppers ------------- 4.0 lbs
Garlic -------------------- 5.0 oz
Salt ---------------------- 3/4 cup
Sugar -------------------- 1/2 cup (can substitute honey)
Cumin, ground ---------- 1.5 TBS
Tomato juice ------------ 1.5 cups
Lime juice --------------- 1 cup
Vinegar ------------------ 9 cups
Water -------------------- 2 cups

- Grind the peppers and garlic in a food processor with the water
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and simmer covered for 30 minutes
- Cool until safe and then beat smooth in a blender
- Press through a fine strainer to remove any seeds and skins (press through with the back of a spoon)
- Can in pint jars and process for 15 minutes in a boiling water batch

You can vary the ingredients but be sure the liquids are at least 60% vinegar and lime juice.

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Tom, that recipe sounds great.
Old December 2, 2015   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I made half the recipe that Tom posted with 2 pounds of peppers yesterday. The house was filled with wonderful aroma. Tomato juice and peppers cooking smells Cajun to me. I already know some will be used in my homemade Cajun cooking. The sauce is hot but not too hot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0027.JPG (53.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0028.JPG (44.9 KB, 80 views)
Old December 2, 2015   #21
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Looks great! We are finally eating eating the sauce I made, it was a big hit on Thanksgiving. First the too hot "only use one drop" comments. About 10 minutes later it was going on everything. Next year will have to try Tom's recipe.

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #22
BakedIn
Tomatovillian™

Tabasco's the right amount of heat. Never really liked the McChelheny sauce though, or any sauce with too much vinegar for that matter. Tried a time or two to make my own mash method style and it came out about like the traditional stuff, only maybe slightly worse/

So I started using was the dried and finely ground powder first, then "backfilling" with vinegar. You get a thick sauce this way and are able to add the bare minimum of vinegar.
BakedIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedIn View Post
Tabasco's the right amount of heat. Never really liked the McChelheny sauce though, or any sauce with too much vinegar for that matter. Tried a time or two to make my own mash method style and it came out about like the traditional stuff, only maybe slightly worse/

So I started using was the dried and finely ground powder first, then "backfilling" with vinegar. You get a thick sauce this way and are able to add the bare minimum of vinegar.
McIlhenny Tabasco sauce is fermented with salt like they do sauerkraut for 4 weeks and then it is mixed with vinegar and aged some more like 3 years but I feel the last part isn't necessary for the home owner unless they want to start now and continue doing it every year.
Here is the link.
http://www.tabasco.com/mcilhenny-company/about/

Now at the bottom of the story they talk about generations of people working there.
I myself have met, been very good friends with and known 3 generations of people that grew up there and worked there.
The grand mother the son and the grand son plus many others.
One of them I called Sid because he looked like Sidney Poitier, and he called me Emmitt after Emmitt Smith the football player due to the size of my legs.
Well any way they told me that when you took the top off of the wood barrels it would almost knock you down.
There is no processing no cooking and you wont even come close unless you ferment your peppers.
This is the part that gives it the flavor it has.
There is nothing you can add to it to make it taste that way.
I do this at home myself now.
Worth
Old March 26, 2016   #24
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default 4 lbs. of Tabasco - Recipies?

Fermenting is the way to go. Below is a basic recipe I've been using, except I leave them sitting in the salt for at least a week before adding the vinegar. I think I'll try leaving it longer this year as Worth recommends.

It will separate a bit if you don't add don't add xanthum gum, but I don't have an issue with shaking the bottles before use.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ecipe-51104250
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Fermenting is the way to go. Below is a basic recipe I've been using, except I leave them sitting in the salt for at least a week before adding the vinegar. I think I'll try leaving it longer this year as Worth recommends.

It will separate a bit if you don't add don't add xanthum gum, but I don't have an issue with shaking the bottles before use.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ecipe-51104250
At the very least 4 weeks and that depends on the salt and temperatures.
I think I did mine for 8 weeks.
And instead if vinegar afterwards I used bottled lime juice put it all in a blinder and let it run.
There is no way this stuff will spoil.
Worth
Old March 26, 2016   #26
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

I chop my peppers up, weigh them and add kosher at 10% of what the peppers weighed. Mix the salt in and put it in a glass jar. Then I use a air-lock like you would if you were making wine( you can buy them at any wine making store for a dollar or two) . This allows you to keep it from spoiling and tell when the fermentation process is done. A really simply way is to put a balloon over the mouth of the bottle and it will expand during fermentation and shrink when it is done. I like my pepper mash to sit in the glass jar for a month then put it in a blender and slowly add vinegar until it is the thickness I want.

Craig
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Mato View Post
I chop my peppers up, weigh them and add kosher at 10% of what the peppers weighed. Mix the salt in and put it in a glass jar. Then I use a air-lock like you would if you were making wine( you can buy them at any wine making store for a dollar or two) . This allows you to keep it from spoiling and tell when the fermentation process is done. A really simply way is to put a balloon over the mouth of the bottle and it will expand during fermentation and shrink when it is done. I like my pepper mash to sit in the glass jar for a month then put it in a blender and slowly add vinegar until it is the thickness I want.

Craig
Some of us have been making our own airlocks with great success.
Here are a few made buy us.
The first are mine and I have a 15 liter German crock.

Here is some made by Sue.

You can go to the preservation and canning section here and find a thread on fermenting.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=38997&page=8
Old March 26, 2016   #28
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If you've ever made beer or wine and have any of the pre-drilled bungs for air locks you used for carboys, some also fit beautifully in the mouth of glass milk bottles. I have both quart and half gallons bottles which I think I'll use for my longer fermentation a this year.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #29
rdback
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
At the very least 4 weeks and that depends on the salt and temperatures.
I think I did mine for 8 weeks.
And instead if vinegar afterwards I used bottled lime juice put it all in a blinder and let it run.
There is no way this stuff will spoil.
Worth
Agree 100%. Properly fermented anything doesn't NEED vinegar. Vinegar based hot sauces are ok and have a place, but a truly fermented hot sauce is a whole different playing field.

Love the homemade airlocks Worth!
rdback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2016   #30
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
About a thousand were do I start.

I need to clean up and go to the store now but will be back.
While I am gone think about what you like.
Do you like vinegar or citrus.
Think lemony or limey sweet salty and hot.
Do you like that?

Think about going to the store and getting one of those big bags of ugly out side Texas oranges they have and a big, big bag of sugar and a big bottle of lime and lemon juice cheap HEB brand is fine.
We are talking a total of maybe ten dollars if you have pint jars.
This is what you would be making.
Hot pepper orange marmalade that will knock your socks off.

Worth... When you get time, could I please get your recipe for the Hot Pepper Orange Marmalade? That looks good.

Wish it came in a mild recipe. Wimpy tongue. Can't handle super hot.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote