Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 2, 2016   #1
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Default Source for ordering mature pepper plants?

Does anybody know of a reputable source for mature or matureish pepper plants online or otherwise? I am having terrible luck with over-wintering plants this season, and already had to dump my entire flat of started seeds due to unforeseen circumstances. I do have some reserves waiting to be sown, but some of the varieties are extremely slow to germinate no matter how I treat them. I will be going forward with the seed sowing but was wondering if there was an online source for well developed, mature plants? Not looking for 2 year old plants, but just some that are good size, well developed and ready for the ground when the time comes. The local nurseries here tend to have nothing but infant pepper plants, that struggle when planted and are difficult to get a harvest from the first year. And I'm only referring to some of the exotics or hots/superhots.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks gang.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #2
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

I have used chiliplants.com. Very large selection. Plants that I have purchased in the past were about 10"

Old chef

Last edited by Old chef; February 3, 2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2016   #3
dtnmmz
Tomatovillian™

Default Chiliplants .com

I have used them also with great results. I now use the seeds from the first order
of plants --- now for two years.
dtnmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2016   #4
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I've also ordered from them. Plants are really healthy.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2016   #5
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all that replied, much appreciated. Sounds like Chileplants.com is the place.

Any other suggestions are still welcome.
Old February 17, 2016   #6
Chewi5150
Tomatovillian™

I've used chiliplants.com before too. Only problem with them is they don't ship until April. Peidmont Farm and Gardens ships usually 3 weeks earlier. Since you are in Sacramento you might benefit from having your plants out almost a month earlier.
http://www.piedmontfarmandgarden.com...-Sale-s/40.htm
I've used them, everything grew true..even the exotics.
Peace!
Chewi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You could try checking out your local farmer's market.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #8
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewi5150 View Post
I've used chiliplants.com before too. Only problem with them is they don't ship until April. Peidmont Farm and Gardens ships usually 3 weeks earlier. Since you are in Sacramento you might benefit from having your plants out almost a month earlier.
http://www.piedmontfarmandgarden.com...-Sale-s/40.htm
I've used them, everything grew true..even the exotics.
Peace!

Thank you for this, they have some great looking varieties. Chileplants.com had a few others I was interested in so I placed an order with them. I'm hoping with our long growing season the 3 weeks isn't such a big deal. Id be curious if the plants they offer actually "look" to be 3 weeks older or do they just ship younger/smaller plants? Refining Chiles is another one I found based out here in CA. I hope to try them in the future as well. Anybody have experience with them?

Cole, none of our farmers markets offer anything remotely unique or exotic in the form of plants or peppers. Just the standard, Bells, Jalapenos, Serranos and Habs. Perhaps I need to be the one to change that.
Old March 23, 2016   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The funny thing I've found about hot peppers is that the plants sell better than the peppers themselves.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #10
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

I'll throw http://juanitospeppers.com/ into the hat, too. Their plants are supposed to become available March 30. If you email them, they will readily respond, which is nice. I follow them on FB.
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #11
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Our farm sells large pepper plants in May.

I would also suggest Flatland Flower Farm. They sell at the SF Ferry Plaza farmers' market on Saturday mornings.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #12
rdback
Tomatovillian™

Susan Welsand at http://www.thechilewoman.com/ is worth a look. She's been in business for over 20 years and has a loyal following.
rdback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #13
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The funny thing I've found about hot peppers is that the plants sell better than the peppers themselves.
I agree 110%
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #14
eldemila
Tomatovillian™

Not cheap when it comes to shipping plants but Piedmont Farm and Garden in Spartanburg, SC has the biggest supply of pepper plants that I've ever seen anywhere. I just bought some there today. Got an ibteresting one, for me, at least, called Aji Sugar Rush Peach.
eldemila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #15
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldemila View Post
Not cheap when it comes to shipping plants but Piedmont Farm and Garden in Spartanburg, SC has the biggest supply of pepper plants that I've ever seen anywhere. I just bought some there today. Got an ibteresting one, for me, at least, called Aji Sugar Rush Peach.
Piedmont was suggested and does look to have a great selection. I will probably try them in the future. Refining Fire Chiles out of CA has the best selection I've seen, they also have Sugar Rush peach and the Cream variant as well. They are next on my list and should have plants available within the next 2 weeks.

Just got my order from Chileplants.com today and I have to say I am very pleased. Plants shipped on the 4th, received them today and they look great, very healthy. They should have no problem adjusting to their permanent homes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160407_132451.jpg (89.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20160407_132652.jpg (80.7 KB, 88 views)