Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 29, 2017   #1
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Default Celebration

Has anyone grown this ? It's supposed to be an improvement of Celebrity. Trying to decide on determinate variety for next year. Grew Taxi this year, very prolific but not very tasty.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I first noticed Celebration for sale on store shelves around here in 2015. I do have seeds, but I have not grown them.

I did overhear a lady at the local flea market saying they had no flavor, but I think she was trying to sell her tomatoes which were not Celebration. There are a lot of people like that around here - especially at the flea markets.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2017   #3
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Salt, can you recommend a good determinate variety?
Old July 29, 2017   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

You're Welcome Jillian. I'm the wrong one to ask about determinates. However, I can recommend Bradley which is thought of as a Determinate on some sites and a Semi-Determinate on other sites. For us here in Texas, it produced Semi-Determinate with excellent tasting tomatoes. The down side is they have a short shelf-life compared to Celebrity and tomatoes that are meant for market.

This coming spring, I'm going to grow some very new-to-me tomatoes that I'm pretty sure are all Determinate - they are also VFFFN - both DET and VFFFN are new to me. If any of them taste good/produce well - I'll let you know. They are Amelia, Dixie Red, Mountain Merit, and Skyway.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have been so put off by celebrities of all types lately I dont want anything to do with any part of it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #6
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have been so put off by celebrities of all types lately I dont want anything to do with any part of it.

Worth
Bwaaaaaahaaaaaaaahawwwwwsssssssss lolol you're too much Worth
Old July 30, 2017   #7
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Celebration

Hi Jillian,
I have been happy with the determinate, Grandaddy. It is a hybrid. It has decent taste, disease resistance(VF), and an abundance of large perfectly round tomatoes. I just picked one today that was close to a pound. It does well here in North Carolina and reaches about 5 feet in height max. I have not tried Celebration, but would take Grandaddy hands down over Celebrity.
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017   #8
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedgreen51 View Post
Hi Jillian,
I have been happy with the determinate, Grandaddy. It is a hybrid. It has decent taste, disease resistance(VF), and an abundance of large perfectly round tomatoes. I just picked one today that was close to a pound. It does well here in North Carolina and reaches about 5 feet in height max. I have not tried Celebration, but would take Grandaddy hands down over Celebrity.
Thanks so much, I will definitely be trying it next year