Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2017   #106
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
Puttin on the Fritz, nice j-o-b; also strongplant. Europia seems like an idealistic environment, with a few exceptions. That blue tomato sure is an odd job, what variation is that one. Looks kindof like cobalt blue...
The variety of the blue tomatoes is supposed to be Blue Beauty. I got my seeds from Cole Robbie with his last SASE offer. Being the first time I grow anthocyanin tomatoes, I really don't know what they should look like at this stage. I though they would start turn red sometimes soon, but now I'm beginning to have some doubts.
They sure look different from those depicted here
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Blue_Beauty
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #107
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
My plants would have made a thousand tomatoes if it weren't for blossom drop in high heat.
In containers mind you they are still growing and putting out blooms in almost 100 degree heat.

Worth
Worth, what kind of containers do you use?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #108
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Worth, what kind of containers do you use?
Regular nursery containers with soil piled up around the drain holes.
Container or not the heat is killing me.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017   #109
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

I've dosed a little bit of water soluble,high in potassium fertilizer 15 days ago and again yesterday,and plants are going insane,considering I've only sprayed once against mites:

Another one of my test hybrids,but instead of indigo rose parent I've used
san marzano:

Hope the moderators won't mind pictures a lil bigger than usual.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #110
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

This year it seems everything is far behind. After a quickstart, and a couple of gigantic fruits forming, the following blossoms have been very reluctant to become fruits. Only now, there is some 'coming alive', but it is getting late ...
Black Opal and Japanese Pink Cherry were some of the succesful ones and they have huge trusses with fruits ... Other large ones are lagging behind.
Smaller determinate bush varieties are ripening: Ditmarsher, Cherry Falls, and PPO are loaded.

But some plants haven't even bloomed yet... Esterina and Captain Lucky ...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #111
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year I have tomatoes in July here in the Bay Area. And everything seems to be producing huge fruit.

Our heat doesn't usually arrive until September and October, so I cannot imagine what is in store for the remainder of the season.

I planted out 5/5.

Girl Girl's Weird Thing - my first ever 1 pounder. 85 DTH. Picked two yesterday:

Sart Roloise - accidentally harvested while hard pruning. Ripened at 80 days:

Sakharnyi Pudovichok aka "Sugary Pounder." First fruit harvested early due to cracking. Counter ripe at 75 days, second harvested yesterday:

The cracking seems to be a thing in my Earthboxes with these beefsteaks. I'm not fighting it. Tomato pie coming soon!
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #112
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

How are myplants producing? I don't really want to talk about it but will just a bit.

I have only 10 varieties out in the backyard,it used to be 30, someone raises my seedlings for me since I can't do that and someone else is supposed to be taking care of them, and I said supposed to.....

All are in large continers with those 3 ring supports and they look like Palm trees. I ask Freda to do this and that for them,but I can SEE that she hasn't done what I ask her to do. You would as well if you saw black withering leaves, etc.

I chose those varieties carefully and yes,it's been wet and cold here but at this rate,almost August, I doubt I'll get any decent fruit production.

Carolyn
Old July 31, 2017   #113
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

My first tomatoes of the year (after a few currant, cherry and saladettes) : Liguria, Malakhitovaya Schkatulka and Azoychka.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170731_111629872_HDR.jpg (359.5 KB, 96 views)
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #114
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Yesssss I've picked almost 100kg (~220 lbs) just from my test hybrid row.Hopefully next year all 4 or 5 rows in my greenhouse will be like this since I've made some new promising crosses.
Old July 31, 2017   #115
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

strong work strongplant, impressive. Do you roll a wheelbarrow down the lane to harvest?
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #116
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I had a good, but not great year. Production was steady for the past 3 months but is rapidly declining. Next year I will not grow any dwarf varieties and will focus more on production. A few standouts have been Spudakee, Limmony, and Granadero.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #117
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Most promising new tomato in a supported cage: Olive Hill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32-2017OliveHill.jpg (142.3 KB, 84 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #118
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I had a good, but not great year. Production was steady for the past 3 months but is rapidly declining. Next year I will not grow any dwarf varieties and will focus more on production. A few standouts have been Spudakee, Limmony, and Granadero.
Same here, Big V. I started harvesting from early May ; that is 3 months.
But I still get plenty to eat, cook with, make sauce, make wine and share. Just today I harvested half bucketful.
Right now Sungold, Esterina, IS PL, Cuostralee, Big Beef, Big Rainbow and my own Brown Heart keep producing. I have zapped a dozen or so varieties along the way.
My second crop , about a dozen, flowering and setting as well. Now we've got August in front of us.
Luckily I have had no serious disease issue but pests ( grass hopper, horn worms, stink bugs,.. ) had been present. But I have managed to deal with it to some extent.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2017   #119
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
strong work strongplant, impressive. Do you roll a wheelbarrow down the lane to harvest?
Haha yup,with a couple of crates in it too.My 3d year of growing them in the GH and best one so far.Hope next one is even better!
Old July 31, 2017   #120
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Picked a few Olpalka and Costolutos yesterday.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant production