Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 5, 2017   #1
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Default leaf tips issue

Is this possibly nitrogen burn?

JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #2
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Two weeks in the ground, trenched, wet and cool, lots of compost, and this is typical of all 20+ plants at that spot.
Old June 5, 2017   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Tip burn, it could be if you were over fertilizing with conventional fertilizer high in N. It could also be environmental damage, like from high winds.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Tip burn, it could be if you were over fertilizing with conventional fertilizer high in N. It could also be environmental damage, like from high winds.
I agree with the wind as a possible culprit. Looks like my plants that took a beating by the wind a few times the first week or two after plant out.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I think they got burned touching the black mulch.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #6
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

All those sound good to me in comparison to a disease. I read Bacterial Canker starts at tips.

We did have some buffeting windy days, and that spot is fairly exposed as well regarding winds. I know there is a lot of nitrogen in there. It is my first time with the black mulch - this is called oxo something - but it has not been very hot yet. I think it hit 80 only one day since they are put out.
Old June 6, 2017   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Nothing to worry about, I thought it looked more like mechanical damage from wind. I had some of that myself on some seedlings I was hardening off earlier in the month.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #8
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I, also, think it's damage from wind or even very heavy raindrops, etc. I see some fissures/cracks in some leaves. Sometimes, there's a milder form of oedema that makes the leaves thicker and "juicier" and slightly puffy, and this in turn makes them more prone to cracking/splitting/bruising under any stress or impact. And leaf injury can, of course, cut off circulation to parts of the leaves.

Can you tell I spend way too much time observing tomato plant minutiae?
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #9
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

This time of year cracks me up...I can't believe those pics are from just 6 days ago. They have grown so much. I am seeing some definite black plastic mulch contact burns now, and places where some branch tips have even fused to the plastic. Other than that they look super healthy and really stocky in that full sun garden. I will start stringing them up soon.

Thanks all for the help.