Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 25, 2006   #1
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Default Would this be a bad idea?

This year I'm planning on growing the following peppers in 5 gal. containers and was wondering if you all thought I could get away with two plants in each 5 gal. container? Or would that be pushing my luck?

California Wonder
Chocolate Bell
Grand Bell
Anaheim Chile
Jalapeno
Thai
Zimbabwe Bird
Pimento

Thanks!
Cathy
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I put 3 or 4 plants in 5 gallon containers. I have always had very good yields with peppers that were crowded. They offer some protection to each other from the sun and wind.
I do not plant the same variety together. I try to stagger them for size. For example I plant a small bushy type like Franks or Trinidad Seasoning with a tall leggy Thai or Italian type and place a few medium size around those. Each plant has his own zone and the containers are really attractive too.
Looks aside, peppers seem to like crowding. One year my Anaheims got taken over by some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes. The plant that was completely covered by the tomatoes produced 3 times what the other peppers of the same variety produced. It could have been the shade factor, as that was a very hot year, but I have been planting them closer ever since and only seen better yields.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am of a differnt camp on this - I give my plants their own container; however since I've not done the multiplant thing, can't really comment. From what I've seen, Bell sweets have the biggest issues with yield, so wouldn't crowd them.
Old February 26, 2006   #4
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Hmm...
Well, maybe I'll try a few and see how things go.
I'm planning on two pots for the sweet peppers anyway, so will try 1 pot of each with two plants and 1 pot of one each and see which does best.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Cathy
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote