Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old December 2, 2013   #16
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I didn't see this thread right away (my fault) so I missed the webinar.
Been using whatever I could get cheap for seed starting. I start extra early, so the stores don't have their stock in yet, and I have to choose from what's left over from the last year.

For my container plantings (mostly peppers) I've been using 50/50 garden soil and compost with just a taste of chicken gravy.

I too had bought some MG Moisture Control by mistake..
http://www.tomatoville.com/album.php?albumid=134
No more of that stuff for me, even if it is the only thing they have.

Thanks for the tip, saltmarsh. I like the idea of using a little H2O2 to guard against damping off, even though I hardly ever have any trouble in that respect. It's always good to have more things in your bag of tricks, whether you use them or not.

The Pro Mix sounds good and I 'd like to try it, but I just looked for it on Amazon to get a ball park price and...Amazon Pro Mix BX ..Wow! that will buy a lot of tomatoes! Maybe I can use it for the soil bench in my GH, and a few starts, but I don't think I'll be using it in my container plantings any time soon.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2013   #17
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Charlie,

Too funny about the results of using too much Pro-mix with water crystals .

Bummer about the price of that Pro-mix-BS er, I mean BX. My garden will have to go without the mych.... fungi too .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2013   #18
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
The Pro Mix sounds good and I 'd like to try it, but I just looked for it on Amazon to get a ball park price and...Amazon Pro Mix BX ..Wow! that will buy a lot of tomatoes! Maybe I can use it for the soil bench in my GH, and a few starts, but I don't think I'll be using it in my container plantings any time soon.
That's pretty expensive "free shipping" at Amazon.
It's expensive to ship because of the size and weight of a bale, better to find a supplier local if you can. Check with the local nurseries and hydroponics stores. The only place I saw BX sold locally this year is at one of the hydroponics stores.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote