Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old April 15, 2016   #1
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Default Would different kinds of tree ash help build up a new spot?

I have a decent pile of brush from a few different trees. Gum, Dogwood, Burch, Acorn & Pine. I also only have one spot in my yard that gets full sun. Its not a large spot maybe another 20x40 could be made from it. I was wondering since I need to burn off this brush, could it help out if I was to dig another garden.

I figure could drag it all down to the spot I am talking about and light it up. Then rake the left overs into a smaller pile until its all gone. Then i would take my tiller and dig that new 20x40 right where the ashes are.

Any ideas on if this would be a waste of time or something that might help out a new spot.

A little back story as we are on a section of a farm that my girls grand parents owned and split it up among all the boys in the family. When my girls brother died this little two acres of property became hers. This place hasn't seen corn, soybean or tobacco in 30 years.

Tia
Billy

Last edited by MrSalvage; April 15, 2016 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Added a little clearer information...
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #2
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Do this only if you soil is way acidic.
Wood ashes will add potash but it will also make it alkaline.
I will just burn this off in my barrels. It's just not worth the headache.

Thank you for the answer man!
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote