Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 31, 2006   #1
ruisseau
Tomatovillian™

Default Skin color fades when cooked

Hi all,

I'm growing Slim Jim this year and the plants are producing like crazy! The only thing that dissappoints me about this variety is that the beautiful purple skin color fades to a yucky brown when cooked. I've seen other varieties do the same... the seed catalogs don't specify which ones fade when cooked. It seems like the larger bulbous eggplants don't fade.

Can anyone recommend a slender purple eggplant that doesn't fade when cooked?

Thanks for your help!

ruisseau
ruisseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey r - I believe that the purple pigment in many veggies is heat sensitive and this is responsible for the color transformation. I have to admit to peeling my aubergines prior to use....so can't really comment on whether this is a universal issue.
Old August 1, 2006   #3
ruisseau
Tomatovillian™

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply. So, you peel the little ones too? I guess I'm a bit lazy :wink:

I've grown Bambinos and Black Enorma and they never faded, but they are blacker in color. Maybe the purple just can't hold up, as you say. It would be an interesting goal for an aubergine breeder to achieve...

What about Ichiban? If you ever have the occasion to cook one with the skin, could you post the results here for me, please? You know, maybe one that's twisted and slug-holed... just pop it in the microwave or on the grill?

8)
ruisseau is offline   Reply With Quote