Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 3, 2014   #46
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

You might have a problem with varmints!
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #47
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

yes i remember that happened last time i burried trout carcasses from last years opener trout season. I don't mind the critters should they need to dig up old smelly carcasses ..the beds are wire fenced so it is unlikely unless they can climb or dig under. hopefully the microbes and worms will break it all down under the dirt. I figure fish carcass can't hurt.
Old March 4, 2014   #48
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

John, those fish remains are excellent when buried in the garden. Now, about that couple of inches... You'll get much more benefit, and less headaches if you take those fish and put them in the freezer (double bagged) until plant-out time. I have about 10 - 12 lbs. in my freezer right now. Putting a little directly under each (tomato) plant with at least 6" of soil between the fish and the root ball will make the plant put down deeper roots. Deeper roots will, in turn, help the plants in times of stress, allowing the plant to draw deeper reserves of moisture and nutrients. For normal sized starts (tomatoes) a 14" to 16" hole will be about right. Your mileage (depth) may vary.

I dig a hole about 16" - 20" deep (I have an auger), and because I like to, also put in oversized transplants, stripped down to just a few leaf’s at the growing tip. This forces the plant to put out advantageous roots above the root ball as well.

Since I'm giving away some of my secrets... When you use buried fish, it takes time for the roots to get (6") to the fish, but it also take time for the fish to decay and make itself available to be taken in by the roots. Not a precise science, but still works. So the fish is a delayed action fertilizer. The root ball and any advantageous roots will be working to "farm" the upper layer of soil of any top dressing until the deeper roots start working on all that fishy goodness. ...gets you well into the season. I think I'll stop my rambling now. As Worth said in another post; we shouldn't be giving away all our secrets.

You could also make a nice fish juice fertilizer from that fish waste. A stinky process, but the plants like it, even if the neighbours don't.

Charlie

Last edited by Got Worms?; March 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #49
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default i fish enough so i'll have more

planting time and ty charlie
Old March 6, 2014   #50
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Be prepared to attract critters. Especially raccoons.
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #51
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPOSTER View Post
Be prepared to attract critters. Especially raccoons.
Yes, that's true. Most carnivorous and omnivorous animals will try to dig up buried fish if you allow them to. Even your family pet. Old Fido would like nothing better than to dig up an old rotten fish and roll in it! Skunks just love fish.

Gardens should be protected from animals. I use a fence. I don't bury shallow.

I am also careful not to contaminate the soil around the planting site. I freeze my fish parts on a large cookie sheet first then put them into freezer bags.

When I plant out, I dig all my holes (I use an auger) before I go to the freezer. Then I put the fish from the freezer (still frozen and in the freezer bags) into a clean bucket and wash my hands. I then put some disposable rubber gloves in my pocket before heading out to the garden.

Once I put the gloves on, I won't touch the soil any more. The empty bags are put back into the bucket and kept from contact with the soil also. After all the holes have their fish dropped down the center of the hole, the gloves go in the bucket and I remove it (the bucket) from the garden and wash my hands one more time.

Now I can fill in and plant out. I back fill all the holes with six inches of soil, strip the seedlings down, set them in the holes, back fill more, firm or slightly tamp the soil, and water them in.

It may sound like a lot of fuss, but it's not. I used to run a trap-line many years ago, so it is second nature to me. It just involves being more conscious of the acute senses that animals possess.

People that use fish emulsion to fertilize with have more trouble with animals than I do, and they have very little.

P.S. don't eat bacon in your sleeping bag .

Charlie
Old March 7, 2014   #52
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure it is true, but heard blood meal keeps animals away. Maybe add some with the fish.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #53
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I've tried blood, but it was back in the '70s, then information and awareness about blood-bourne pathogens was made popular, I sort of decided it was not for me. Mainly because the only benefit I could see was it's nitrogenous properties, which I could get elsewhere without risk. It was a "better safe than sorry" decision which just sort of stuck with me.

A good fence, topped with a few strands of electrified bare wire on insulators will do wonders, though.

For the diggers, I bury a foot and a half of a 3ft. wide hardware cloth in an L shape around the perimeter of the garden. I use 1/2" hardware cloth/wire.
The above ground foot and a half should be secured to your fence with wire. Then another 6" straight down below ground and then the remaining 12" bent flat and outward, away from the the fence. Back fill.

Works for most diggers like skunks, woodchucks, rabbits, etc. But not Voles and their ilk/kind.

Charlie
Old March 7, 2014   #54
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to be getting away from the subject. My apologies.
Old March 8, 2014   #55
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Charlie, great read,, most certainly on topic too.. I like your instructions too. I was out jigging up a few more perch yesterday and now have a half a five gal. bucket of perch walleye and crappie carcasses.. I will heed your advice and dig deep enough holes, I can get down at least 8 inches when the time comes.. i have a garage freezer so i can keep em frozen until the soil thaws enough for diggin..but here is my experience with the critters last season.. yes they do get in and dig them carcasses up.. although this time .. i have (higher wire gardening fencing to keep the coons skunks out ....but even so, i am more comfortable burying them well ahead of planting .. i just rather get them in and let nature do it's thing .. this way should the skunks and coons decide they want in and get in by digging under the fence,, they do so before I plant. And this fish won't tillered up once the carcasses are in, they are staying under before planting.
Old March 8, 2014   #56
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
I'm not sure it is true, but heard blood meal keeps animals away. Maybe add some with the fish.
the scent of blood meal is said to deter herbivorous critters such as rabbits /deer .. not sure but doubt that it will deter coons and skunks.
Old March 8, 2014   #57
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
the scent of blood meal is said to deter herbivorous critters such as rabbits /deer .. not sure but doubt that it will deter coons and skunks.
I would think the smell of blood would attract them at least the skunk.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #58
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I would think the smell of blood would attract them at least the skunk.

Worth
I would too, but every garden expert say otherwise, and to be clear, I never suggested raw blood! I have found coons love bone meal! Maybe blood meal is skunk blood meal
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #59
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

John, if your only going to bury the fish 8" down, then you have certainly made the right choice by not doing it at plant out. Put the fish near where you're going to be putting the plant, And mark where you put the fish, so that at plant out time you'll know where they are. Then you can put a little distance (4" - 6") between it and the root ball, as if it were a side dressing.

Charlie
Old March 8, 2014   #60
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
John, if your only going to bury the fish 8" down, then you have certainly made the right choice by not doing it at plant out. Put the fish near where you're going to be putting the plant, And mark where you put the fish, so that at plant out time you'll know where they are. Then you can put a little distance (4" - 6") between it and the root ball, as if it were a side dressing.

Charlie
yes,, Still am thinking to do a little both.. that is if i can dig deeper using a pole hole digger ,,thanks for some more good pointers too