Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 2, 2019   #151
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

It's crunchy more towards the skin, the interior is fairly normal. I ate another one and was the same as the first, next one I will wait a lot longer. Maybe cut in slices would be better, so you are not left with the whole crunchy skin at the end. It certainly has a lot of sweetness however, just like green tiger.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2019   #152
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I usually cut mine in half.

Otherwise there is a tendency for juice to spray everywhere when eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
It's crunchy more towards the skin, the interior is fairly normal. I ate another one and was the same as the first, next one I will wait a lot longer. Maybe cut in slices would be better, so you are not left with the whole crunchy skin at the end. It certainly has a lot of sweetness however, just like green tiger.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2019   #153
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Here are a couple pictures of Green Bee. Grown in an 18-20 gallon pot and very productive. It's been tough to narrow down when to pick. I'm now letting the fruit crack on the vine and heal over. Even then when picked, they last a long time on the counter.

As Fred has said, this is a chef's tomato. Lasts forever and still maintains the crunch of an apple. Not sweet, not tart, somewhere in between.

I'm growing Madera and this has some of the same qualities. Thanks Fred.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190815_092741.jpg (298.9 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 20190814_145059.jpg (480.2 KB, 225 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2019   #154
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Nice photos!
Old August 26, 2019   #155
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Today’s crop! I have to admit, this is one interesting tomato. It is surprisingly mild in taste and I’m curious to see how it tastes oven roasted or sautéed. It really does have incredible shelf life. I just picked these today. And they stay so crunch! Really nice tomato. Thanks Fred! By the way, these are multiple stems, but one of them was loaded. I bunched them together for the photo, freshly rinsed off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53454B2C-9D67-440E-ACDC-7CBF4055D8AE.jpg (161.9 KB, 187 views)
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2019   #156
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Those have a nice ripe color. Glad they made it to ripe in your neck of the woods.
Old September 9, 2019   #157
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Green Bee in a tomato salad at a home-town restaurant we work closely with.

Green Bee adds color, flavor and texture diversity to the salad. The other secret sauce in this salad -- Tangerine Gem Marigold (just a sprinkle).

Old November 13, 2019   #158
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

My experience with Green Bee:
I had two large plants with many fruits. I must admit I was impatient. Every time I tasted a tomato I thought was already ripe, I was disappointed. Hard skin, more acidic than sweet. I harvested the tomatoes before the first frost (September 21) and stored them in the cottage. Only yesterday, when I moved the Green Bee tomatoes to another crate, I found a few softer fruits with a nice color. I tasted them and I was surprised how much I liked them. Perhaps you need to be patient and wait until these tomatoes are fully ripe. So far I leave all the tomatoes in the cottage, where the temperature is two or three degrees higher than outside. Outside temperatures range from -2 ° C to 12 ° C, relative humidity is high, often raining and foggy. I'll leave them there until the frosts get more permanent. Then I take them to ripen home. I wonder when the tomatoes will last. Next year I will probably plant more plants !!!
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2033.jpg (204.0 KB, 133 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019   #159
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

The ones in the above photo look good! The ones showing light orange-brown are usually the best. As long as they are still firm.
Old November 14, 2019   #160
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

:Ano:In October, I tested pickled the peeled tomatoes Ramallet Bombeta and Green Bee F1 in a sweet and sour pickle. Really it tasted me . So at the beginning of November I pickled 3 pounds of Ramallet and 3 pounds of Green Bee . It looks good and it will certainly be tasty.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2002p.jpg (84.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2022p.jpg (128.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2043p.jpg (73.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; November 14, 2019 at 01:18 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019   #161
imp
Tomatovillian™

Pretty looking in the jar! Wow! Do you cold pack or hot pack the tomatoes? How do they taste, do they stay firm?
Old November 14, 2019   #162
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I had a pickled Green Bee and burrata dish last night at one of the restaurants we sell to.

They pickle almost all of the Green Bee that they buy, and they definitely stay firm.
Old November 14, 2019   #163
imp
Tomatovillian™

Fred, were the tomatoes peeled?
Old November 15, 2019   #164
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

The ones I had at the restaurant in the Burrata di Stefano dish were not peeled. Just cut in half and pickled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Fred, were the tomatoes peeled?
Old November 15, 2019   #165
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Hi Fred,

Thanks again for the Green Bee seeds. I grew 1 plant this year and share my experiences below.

Plant is EXTREMELY vigorous and grows many, very long vines.
Foliage health is average, showing average tolerance of our mid/later season fungal pathogens.
Production is massive.
Flavor/texture--I wasn't sure what to expect. I really enjoyed them, firm and crunchy, which I really enjoyed when mixed with other small tomatoes in a caprase salad. Flavor is sweet yet tart, I get melon/stone fruit undertones. My son is a tomato nut but I don't think he could get past the texture. My wife, who doesn't like tomatoes, thought they weren't horrible for a tomato (for whatever that is worth).

The biggest negative was due to our wet later summer/fall, these tomatoes split horribly in that weather, often prior to ripening, which resulted in a lot of wasted fruits. But the fruits that didn't split do last for a very long time and maintain peak flavor.

Thanks again!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote