Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 15, 2014   #1
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Default Hidden Valley (Sungold x Sandul Moldovan) x Ananas Noir

Now at F2 - This is one of the crosses I'm most proud of, and most excited about. Last year I predicted it would segregate in interesting ways, and boy was I right! This thing got all kinds of interesting.
Here's Hidden Valley at F1:

#1,2 and 3

#1 was the easy choice - cool colors and very,very,very sweet. Just killer. So all of these F2's are from #1.

From my front yard bed.  Top to bottom, left to right: FY 1-1, FY 1-2, FY 1-3, FY 1-4, FY 2-5
FY 2-1, FY 2-2, FY 2-3, FY 2-4, FY 2-5.

JL 7-6. My notes say "rad bicolor". The crazy sweet one. And I like how it looks too. One of the three I'll be carrying forward.

FY 2-2. The "copper" colored one. Definitely a very unique color combo (though we've seen a few like this this year in F2's of GWR x Orange crosses)
It's amazing to me what a difference the light they're photographed in makes. #2 to carry forward.

FY 2-5. Golden - Green GWR. Also very sweet. The third one I'll grow out.

JL 7-5. Very productive pink

JL 7-4. Tasty and good looking, but low production. I might try to keep it going if I had more space.

JL 7-3. Not sweet enough for what I'm aiming for.

FY 6-3. The closest to the F1 looks-wise, taste is above average, but not on a par with 7-6 or 2-5

FY 6-1

FY 2-4. Productive, the 2nd earliest.

FY 2-3. I'd be curious how this one segregates at F3

FY 2-1. Thick skin; I was hoping it would make it long keeping, bug not so much (average).

FY 1-3. Insanely productive, and (maybe) semi-determinate. They all ripened close together. Taste was good, but not complex or intense (very "yellow")

FY 1-5. Big and meaty. Good, but not exceptional taste.

FY 1-4. By far the earliest (in fact one of the earliest tomatoes in my garden), but bland. If I had a lot more space, I'd do some, just to see if it would produce an early seg with taste.

FY 1-2, FY 1-4 and FY 2-3

I'd be psyched to share if anybody's interested in joining the grow-out party (in fact some of you already have them heading your way. )
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2014   #2
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Are you using the Sungold foliage fragrance as a marker as others have done?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2014   #3
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Are you using the Sungold foliage fragrance as a marker as others have done?
Yes, but not with this line. It worked pretty well for me with my Quetzalcoatl Cherry (Sungold x Matt's Wild Cherry). None of these really had that strong "Phish concert" smell.
Old October 21, 2014   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I love your posts and am jealous of all the grow outs you're able to do. Planting a set of f2 seeds seems like it would be so fun. I can't wait to get to the f2 stage in my squash breeding project. I just don't have room to do a similar tomato project. Thanks for posting!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2014   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Paddy, I missed this thread, it's hard keeping up with most of the threads here but why don't you consider some of these crosses for the experimental section of my next seed offer as you did in your other thread with crosses.

And I know you were interested in doing that b'c I did receive your e-mail back to me, but just haven't had the chance to get back to you, but I will, never fear.

Carolyn
Old October 21, 2014   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Count me in i am loving everything you are posting
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2016   #7
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Got some cool stuff out of this last year -

L 9-6. Early to mid season. Very good flavor, nice and sweet.

FY 8-3. Love the color. My notes say "TASTE!". Planning to do some breeding with this one's offspring this summer.