Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 27, 2012   #31
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytwofingers View Post
From the package, my beans are: Bean (Bush) Tendergreen Improved

I'll attach a picture of how I have them planted.....
Wish I could attach a picture, but I have the same variety planted in the end of a long planter that is 8'x2'. The soil is about 10" deep and the seeds were sown at 4" spacing in all directions in the last 2' of the box. The rest of the box is filled with early carrots. These seeds were sown early with the help of glass storm windows placed over the planter to hold in the heat and protect from frost so that we are harvesting baby carrots now to thin out the rows and the beans are about 2' high with very tiny beans appearing now. The point is that everything is growing well and happy in this container bed.

There have been threads about growing onions and other vegetables in "clumps" instead of singly and I think that with your beans already started and the size they are now it would be safer to plant the clump and not separate. Beans aren't heavy feeders. jmo

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #32
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Just noticed that I have flowers on my Rattlesnake beans. This is the first year that I've had beans actually grow! Maybe, just maybe we'll get to eat some beans besides just long beans!
I hope I planted enough. Not thinking they would grow after several years of bean failure, I only planted about a 3 foot section.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #33
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Just noticed that I have flowers on my Rattlesnake beans. This is the first year that I've had beans actually grow! Maybe, just maybe we'll get to eat some beans besides just long beans!
I hope I planted enough. Not thinking they would grow after several years of bean failure, I only planted about a 3 foot section.
I trialed a bunch of pole beans last year and only had 2 plants of Rattlesnake which were only about 2" apart and only about 8" from their neighbor yet we had lots of them. They were our favorite of the varieties we tried. Pretty, tender, prolific and yummy!

kath
Old May 27, 2012   #34
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

Anyone ever grown the varieties Juanita Smith or Grandma Roberts Purple pole beans?
I planted my Juanita Smith beans this weekend and may plant some of the Grandma Roberts beans tomorrow.
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #35
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I'm the O.S. for Grandma Roberts Purple Pole. My Grandma grew several different old heirloom beans in her garden in Payne's Cove, TN. The purple pole beans are a vigorous and cool soil tolerant variety that produces heavy crops of purple snap beans. They are relatively low for insect damage which is typical of purple beans. Flavor is pretty good and they are the right texture for canning.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #36
johnnytwofingers
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone know if there's something wrong with my bean plants? Several of the leaves are starting to get a very white, washed out color to them. They still seem to feel the same as the healthier looking green ones, but they don't look healthy.

They are Bean (Bush) Tendergreen Improved, and I recently transplanted them into large pots and moved them outside where they get lots of sunshine (when it isn't raining, that is).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-05-29 15.42.16 sick bean plant.jpg (216.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-05-29 15.42.02 sick bean plant.jpg (289.7 KB, 45 views)
johnnytwofingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #37
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytwofingers View Post
Does anyone know if there's something wrong with my bean plants? Several of the leaves are starting to get a very white, washed out color to them. They still seem to feel the same as the healthier looking green ones, but they don't look healthy.

They are Bean (Bush) Tendergreen Improved, and I recently transplanted them into large pots and moved them outside where they get lots of sunshine (when it isn't raining, that is).
If they've never been in direct sunlight until the transplant, they would need some time to adjust to being out in full sun all day or they could get really washed out looking. There is a glare in the pics that makes it hard for me to see much.
Old June 10, 2012   #38
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

finally got the beans in,
i misplaced the hand trowel, we have two somewhere, so had to use a large serving spoon to dig holes.
in the pole bean category i have
uncle steves
grandma roberts purple
grandmas black
grandmas brown
grandma ginas
musica
waterloo county mennonite pole bean
mr tungs
vassie mae
meraviglia di venezia
tuscarora half runner bread bean
ralphs pole bean
johns purple polish
johns yellow

also planted pencil pod wax bush bean,
ukrainian comrades
an italian romano bush bean, seeds were at least 10 years old. 16 out of 20 sprouted.

dry bean i am trying dutch brown this year.

peas i have planted
sugar snap
sugar ann
oregon sugar pod

growing beans is like tomatoes in the aspect, you keep finding another one you just gotta try. same with peppers, squash, melons etc etc

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2012   #39
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

The bunnies ate my pole beans down to about half. They were planted out from purchased transplants about 3 weeks ago and grew to almost a foot before being eaten at the main stem. Is there any hope they will grow out and produce.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2012   #40
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=rxkeith;281787...growing beans is like tomatoes in the aspect, you keep finding another one you just gotta try. ...[/QUOTE]

Me too! I've planted (mostly pole beans)

absolute favorites
La Vigneronne
Helda Romano
Waterloo County Mennonite

new to me
Asparagus Pea (bush)
Red Noodle
Chinese Long Bean
Christmas Lima
Purple Podded
Purple Peacock
Brockton
Sultan's Green Crescent
Climbing French
KY Wonder Yellow Wax
Anasazi (bush)
Gila River
Blue Coco

have grown before
Trionfo Violetto
Jembo Polish
Rattlesnake
KY Wonder
McCaslan 42
Scarlet Runner

and I didn't even buy new ones this year. If I'd known for sure this spring that I'd have enough garden space, I would have ordered a few more varieties from Sand Hill. It's the first page I turn to when I get the catalog.

This year I'm going to make sure my saved seed is dry enough before storing it in jars! And once it's all dry, I'm planning to find freezer space I can borrow for a few days to kill any weevil eggs. I had weevil damage to several varieties of saved seed. Also, the ones that were not dry enough (crushed rather than shattered when hit by a hammer) had low germination.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2012   #41
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
growing beans is like tomatoes in the aspect, you keep finding another one you just gotta try. same with peppers, squash, melons etc etc
Ditto on that. I've got bean fever bad, especially since work kept me from planting anything last year, and I'm trying to make up for lost time. It's been a great Spring this year, the weather was cooperative during planting time & I got everything in. These are the beans & other legumes I am growing this year. Most are heirloom preservation seed crops, although I have planted enough to eat plenty.

Beans
Bird Egg #3 - pole, shelly
Champagne - pole, green snap
Clem & Sarah's - bush, shelly/dry
Czechoslovakian - pole, purple snap
Dolloff - pole, shelly/dry
Fortex - pole, green snap
Isla - pole, shelly/dry
Light Brown Zebra - bush, dry
Poletschka - pole, not sure of usage yet
Portugal - pole, shelly
Schwarze Witwe - pole, wax
Soissons Vert - pole, shelly/dry
Uzice Porcelain - semi-pole, shelly/dry
Uzice Speckled Wax - pole, wax/shelly
Woods Mountain Crazy Bean - bush, green snap

Limas
Cave Dweller, Black Seed - bush
Mottled Sieva - pole

Runner
Bianco de Spagna (white seeded)
Gigandes (white seeded)

Cowpeas & Yardlongs
Bush Sitao Var. BS-3 - semi-bush, snap
Fagiolino Dolico Veneto - semi-bush, black-eye, dry
MN 157 - true bush, dry, purple-hull, calico
Galante - pole, yardlong
Sierra Madre - pole, yardlong
Yard & 1/2 - pole, yardlong
Yancheng Bush - true bush, yardlong

Peas
Black Eyed Susan - shelling
Bill Jump - soup
Golderbse - soup
Limestone - snow
Prebohaty - soup
Purple Pod Parsley - shelling, purple pods, breeding selection in progress
Vantana Matar - soup

Misc. legume
Adzuki, Buff - buff seeds
Adzuki, Takara Early - red seeds
Black Gram
Chickpea, Brown Popping

Soybeans
Edamame: Cha Kura Kake, Early Hakucho, Ezonishiki, Gardensoy 24, Kosodiguri Extra Early, Natsu Kurakake, Sapporo Midori, Tengamine,

Processing: Besarabka 724, DV-2371, Hei Pi Qing Rang, Hidatsa, Kong Fou Tseu, Krasnoarmejscaja, Mandarin A, Musan-1, Ohozyu, Pando, PI 427088 I, Rouest 13 A1 2, Sakamotowase, Selection No. 503, Seneca, T 239, Ta Li Tsao Shen Wu Tou, Ugra Saja, VIR 1501-40,

Kieth, I have been watching the weather radar... you really got pounded!

Last edited by Zeedman; June 20, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2012   #42
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

yah we got pounded alright.

managed to get some golf in early in the afternoon with the family, and then it started raining. boy did it pour. boomers, lightning, even had a tornado warning near by.
we needed rain, but looks like now we need a boat. some areas of the U.P. had some flooding, roads may have been closed. we are on high ground. one corner of the basement is damp. looking good so far.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote