Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 27, 2018   #1
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Default 2018 MMMM spoiler alert

This will be the thread for those who would like to post what they will be sending in. It can be used for making wish lists. But, read no further if you'd like your package to be mostly a mystery.

Now, if I can just find the link to the google doc for posting wish lists.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Aw Chief, what would you do without me. Here is the link to the MMMM Tomato Wish List.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...wwELpyGP8/edit

Add your choices alphabetically to this list. If more that one person would also like it then put a number after your choice.

Example: Cherokee Purple - 1.

If more than one wants it, change the one to a two and so on for the next person who would also like it. This is a editable document that anyone can add to.
Old June 27, 2018   #3
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I am sure I won't be able to send in anything this year. The rains are killing my garden. Not sure I will have anything left but some peppers.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018   #4
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
I am sure I won't be able to send in anything this year. The rains are killing my garden. Not sure I will have anything left but some peppers.
Spike, then you need to ask for someone to sponsor you.

Newbies - It is time to start learning how to ferment and save your tomato seeds so that you can enter the Swap this year. For those that do not have any seeds to save, you can ask if someone will sponsor you. They will send in seeds for you and you then get to participate in this spectacular event that Tormato hosts each year for us.

Our Chief has also mentioned that the reserve seed pantry is empty this year. That means that we all should plan on sending in something to fill the pantry with and not just the seeds that we enter into the swap. Gardeners are generous so please try to send in plenty of extra seed to make this swap as magnificent as it always has been.
Old June 28, 2018   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Are cucumber seeds welcome?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Spike, then you need to ask for someone to sponsor you.

Newbies - It is time to start learning how to ferment and save your tomato seeds so that you can enter the Swap this year. For those that do not have any seeds to save, you can ask if someone will sponsor you. They will send in seeds for you and you then get to participate in this spectacular event that Tormato hosts each year for us.

Our Chief has also mentioned that the reserve seed pantry is empty this year. That means that we all should plan on sending in something to fill the pantry with and not just the seeds that we enter into the swap. Gardeners are generous so please try to send in plenty of extra seed to make this swap as magnificent as it always has been.
Spike, I happen to have a whole lot of seeds that need a new home. If you would like a sponsor, I would be more than happy to do so. I hope the rain lets up soon for you.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #7
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Spike, I happen to have a whole lot of seeds that need a new home. If you would like a sponsor, I would be more than happy to do so. I hope the rain lets up soon for you.

Oh how kind of you Robert! I just adore you and Jan. Thank you. When Spring hit, we didn't really get much rain, which isn't normal. Now BOOM POW we are getting daily rain. I replanted my corn as the first batch drowned. This batch isn't looking so good either. My beans etc are slowly dying. So yes please! I would love a sponsor!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Tormato, I will be sending in seeds this year. Enough to sponsor many.

Spike, we had that type rainy year in 2015. Our Glass Gem corn got to about 5 inches tall before drowning. Too much rain is a problem for sure.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 28, 2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old June 28, 2018   #9
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I put out more than two dozen blossom bags... So far I've fermented a couple of micro-dwarf seeds from plants I hand-pollinated. Next will be early varieties like Stupice, SFT, and Glacier. I'm hoping that my less common varieties -- Green Mustang, Nefertiti, Waltingers Fleisch aus Indien, Jackie (cherry), etc. -- will set fruit in the next week or two. Then I'll bag the old standbys -- Jaune Flamme, Pink Ping Pong, etc. No one likes an empty pantry!

I'd happy to sponsor someone, too.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2018   #10
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I will have seeds to send in also, so I can sponsor too.

Tyazheloves Sibiri
Mikhalych
Gribovsky

And some varieties from Spain.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018   #11
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I am really looking forward to the MMMM this year, I was sad to have to miss it last year. It looks like I will need a sponsor, if anyone would be so kind? I would really appreciate it! Seems like I am fighting a losing battle this year with the garden, haven't gotten a single fruit yet, but I am not giving up! I am going to keep fiddling around with things and hopefully my plants will grow big and healthy so they can produce a bunch when temps cool back down.
Old June 29, 2018   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Are cucumber seeds welcome?

Most welcome. There's always a shortage of cucumber seeds in the swap.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Carrie, you are sponsored. I had computer problems earlier today, and didn't have the chance to reply. I am so glad that you are determined to make it happen.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Tormato, I know that's not exactly what you meant in this thread. I will be sending many seeds from different years and even a decade ago. I will mark the packages correctly. After all, we are gardeners wanting experience. Waking up 11 year old tomato seeds should be a part of it.
Old June 30, 2018   #14
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Most welcome. There's always a shortage of cucumber seeds in the swap.
That's good. I am having a surplus of various seeds I never get to try
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018   #15
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

This year is not looking pretty. We had very rainy June interrupted by high 90 degree weather, which resulted in very low fruit set.
So every single tomato set is at premium now... I simply do not have long enough summer to expect things to go on and ripen.
Anyway will update bit later what is shaping up. My season still underway and only few tomatoes ready and working...
Some tomatoes impressive from early Titan Red, 42 days and Uralsky Early. Mikado Chernyi from DoubleHelixFarms is outstanding producer and very tasty.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote