Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 21, 2019   #1
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Default 2018/2019 MMMM reports

This will be the thread for reporting poor germination, off type leaves, off-type fruit, etc...
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2019   #2
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, sorry I've been taking pics of this plant thinking they're GGWT, but looking more closely at the trusses today I'm skeptical. I could be wrong, but this look more like trusses that come from a salad or cherry variety to me. Anyway, I'm not disappointed if it turn out to be a cross or something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190529_175808.jpg (177.0 KB, 296 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2019   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

My plants are still very small but a few off-type leaves have showed up.

Brandyberry Pink - PL & RL
Miss Scarlet (In The Kitchen With The Knife) - RL & PL
Kimberley - PL & RL
Grub's Mystery Green Orange - PL & RL

And I have several other experimental non-stable sewlections producing both RL & PL plants.
Old July 8, 2019   #4
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Nothing bad to report here, all good. First couple pics are of Sadovaja Zhemchuzhina Rosovaja and Perla Ogrodu. Both in the same bag. Third pic is of Napa Chardonnay, also in a bag, held about 5 feet off the ground. This is not a hanging basket type. but if allowed to do it's own thing it looks like a larger version of the first two. Just starting to ripen up. Everything is 2 weeks late here. Seed came from Clara. I will send more in for next years swap. Looks alone tell me they're keepers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190708_145233.jpg (433.1 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 20190708_145216.jpg (524.8 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 20190708_145139.jpg (393.8 KB, 224 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2019   #5
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Here's the supposing GGWT, turns out to be a red cherry. This plant is about 10ft wide and 8ft tall, it's the biggest tomato plant I ever grew. Taste decent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190708_163147.jpg (493.1 KB, 217 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2019   #6
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

My Buffalo Soldier tomato is orange when ripe - not black - and somewhat bland. Anyone else?

On a good note - all others are producing true to type and are delicious: Mikado Black, Morado Chocolate, Kardinal and others. Saving seed now.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #7
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Nothing bad at all. Just wanted to report that Dark Galaxy has awesome great taste as well as being gorgeous! Thanks, Tormato!
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, Nan. I almost never experience the dark black color here in Nebraska. I had one turn black last year (can't remember name offhand) in the endless summer of 2019, but that tomato had been on the vine since before it was even planted out. I thought only southern growers could grow these to their darkest potential.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; September 2, 2019 at 02:12 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #9
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Mine got one side or a portion of one side dark, that's all. Still gorgeous. They're in a spot that gets about 6 hours of sun.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #10
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I sowed all 10 seeds of Crnkovic Yugoslavian, 8 plants were planted by friends and myself. All 8 plants had to be removed the beginning of July with disease.

On the great side, Pervaya Lyubov was the first ripe tomato, is very delicious, and is still pumping out the fruit. They are all globe shaped, 4-5 oz. A great size to add a slice to the grilled cheese sandwich.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2019   #11
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

My Dancing with Smurfs produced red cherries, not the dark blue ones.
My Elgin Pink produced red fruit that was delicious and not a disappointment, but not true to type.
I also experimented by growing Medova Kaplya and Honey Drop to see if they are the same or different after several had posted queries about this. They are very different. Medova Kaplya is a lovely yellow pear with nice flavor and texture-NOT bland for me at all as some yellow pears can be. Honey Drop was a paler, smaller somewhat plain yellow cherry with unremarkable flavor. It was also a weaker plant. Medova Kayla just keeps pumping out fruit.It's a winner. Thank you everyone for sharing your seeds.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2019   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

One of my Elgin Pinks seems to be related to Purple Elgin, and the other one has produced small red fruit.
Old September 3, 2019   #13
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Can good news be posted too? Finally I have a non spicy sh*sh*to. So happy. I tried them several times but always got spicy ones. This is going to be a keeper: mild, productive and tasty. It was labeled as 'sh*sh*to from a market bought pepper' or something like that.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote