Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old December 12, 2006   #1
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default Is the fungus which causes fusarium wilt effected by COLD?

I am curious is fursarium wilt primally a problem in the south because it is killed by the cold If so how cold? I know 160F + will kill the thing. Just wondering if I should hope for more of the artic weather that fiinal did in my peppers and toms last week?
Celtic
celticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Celtic, I can't give you specific temps but in general Fusarium is not a problem in the norther tier of states where the ground freezes deeply.

But in the south it does winterover, alas, as many can tell you.

Verticillium is often the opposite, being found more in the south than in the north, but can be found in both places.

The past few winters in the north have been milder than normal and especiaolly in NJ and Conn and the southern part of NYS Fusarium has cropped up from time to time. And there's been a focus in MASS for quite a few years.

As I said, I can't give you specific temps, but states have areas and areas have micro-climatres so I don't think anything really specific can be said re temps.
Old December 13, 2006   #3
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Celtic...i dont know where you are in NC...as respects the 'Arctic Cold"...)))

We DID...recieve, in the South...a blast of Cold, that aint been seen in a long time, last week.

I caint say about the Effects...Real Cold might have upon the continued life of Fusarium in one's soil. I actually think...You posed a Fine Question...tho.

If Fusarium is a problem...then believe me, removal of diseased plants...is a cure. When one plants 50 or more, an sees Fusarium on 3 or 4...that aint bad....jus yet.
It can get Worse...tho.

I used to see Fusarium every season. On a Large scale...at times.

Rotating your planting's...and good endeavors w/mulch around your plants, will make it become a rare visitor...i believe.

Sorry i caint tell ya about Cold, i hope you get or find..some True Answers. An i'm Hopin...what You Hope...lol...is True...)))

I know this much...i look forward to a Beautiful Pecan and Peach Season...next year...Apples...too, an Ty, Dear Lord...for the Siberian Express of Cold, we been needin...)))
Old December 15, 2006   #4
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default fursarium

Thank you Carolyn the temperture unfortunately have moderated. I would not mind having a good -5 degree couple of days sometime this winter. (It been a long while since we had a good hard freeze)
The fursarium wilt has only gotten a couple of my plants over the last few years and it always the same Tom varieties. (Pineapple and green zebra). I however am looking to eradicate/control/do everything I can to get rid/control the fungus: The plants are rotated so they are in the same spot only once ever three years; I remove affect plant (and those next to them as well) and solarize the spot; I am looking in to watering with out city water to keep the bacteria growing; And investigating several other ideas. I have even removed green zebra from my growing list and am seriously thing of not growing pineapple (my wifes favorate).
Unfortunately the more I read and learn the more I realize the best you can hope for short of using nerve gas is control.
celtic
Old December 15, 2006   #5
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default fursarium

Thank you Carolyn the temperture unfortunately have moderated. I would not mind having a good -5 degree couple of days sometime this winter. (It been a long while since we had a good hard freeze)
The fursarium wilt has only gotten a couple of my plants over the last few years and it always the same Tom varieties. (Pineapple and green zebra). I however am looking to eradicate/control/do everything I can to get rid/control the fungus: The plants are rotated so they are in the same spot only once ever three years; I remove affect plant (and those next to them as well) and solarize the spot; I am looking in to watering with out city water to keep the bacteria growing; And investigating several other ideas. I have even removed green zebra from my growing list and am seriously thing of not growing pineapple (my wifes favorate).
Unfortunately the more I read and learn the more I realize the best you can hope for short of using nerve gas is control.
celtic