Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 11, 2018   #31
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default baby photos

Some recently germinated seedlings, Carbon on the left, Bloody Butcher in the middle and KARMA Pink on the right. All are new to me this year. Tally this year so far is around 140 seedling from across 40 varieties. Folks will be taking some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0874.JPG (195.5 KB, 130 views)
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2018   #32
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Photos of what will be the main growing bed for the toms this year. Top photo showing what I have reverted to to stop cooch/Kikuyu coming in under the sleepers. Iron is roughly a foot into the ground below the bottom of the sleeper. Carpet was good under soil but not effective enough one the sides and probably stopped roots going down into native soil under it last year so I am ripping it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0858.JPG (310.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0859.JPG (263.6 KB, 128 views)
Old September 11, 2018   #33
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

I was going to grow Bloody Butcher this year, but having enough problems with my old seed. I've got a few Hearts and Paste tomatoes mainly for seed in my lot, then there's my eating tomatoes. lol
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2018   #34
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Your gardens look great. You are so fortunate to have so much space. Your garden is as big as many peoples whole back yard. It is just lovely.
Old September 11, 2018   #35
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Space is one of the reasons for getting the block initially, I would go stir crazy on a normal house block at the size they are releasing them at around here
Old September 12, 2018   #36
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Great garden space!
I wish you an excellent season, it’s fun to watch others get started while a Northern garden winds down
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018   #37
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Karen.
The garden above is roughly 12m at its widest both ways in a rough "D" shape and is raised 200mm at the edges, with the white gravel being the drive. I have two other beds of 12m long x 3 m wide by 600mm high, one of about 18m long x 1.5m wide x 200mm high, which mainly has the giant rhubarbs init, plus a mesh trellis at the back for climbing beans, peas etc, along with a Kiwiberry, the early shoots of which were tickled up by the last frost we had. One end of this is being converted to an ornamental garden to keep miss 6 happy, which is fine by me. There are also 14 cut down IBC's that form 2 more raised beds 600mm high with more to come. On top of this there are fruit trees in several spots which are going to be condensed into a more defined orchard area, with lands being formed over this summer. Add some berries and a few other odd bits like the spud bins by the dam and we are getting to where we want to be.
Old September 12, 2018   #38
bower
Tomatovillian™

Your soil profile looks fantastic... nice deep topsoil to work with!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018   #39
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Bower, Topsoil is about 600 to 800 mm deep, with about 700 to 900 mm over clay, which was roughly 1500 mm below ground surface if I remember correctly from when we had the soil tests done for building the house. What you see in the photos is soil that I have either imported from outside or relocated from elsewhere on the block to try and generate a bit of drainage. Our block is roughly 150m wide, with less than half a meter of fall across it. Native topsoil is a silt which does not drain very well due to a water table which is basically at ground level at this time of year, so I am often walking on soil that is like walking on a large sponge, squirting out water every step I take.
Old September 20, 2018   #40
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Still potting up seedlings as second round of seed sown continues to germinate. Potted up another 60 today, including 4 from a chimeric plant. Interesting to see what happens here.
Old October 2, 2018   #41
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Final Germination list is attached, the final six, in orange, are purchased plants that were purchased as reference points, because I have not seen them before, or at request of six year old daughter.

Some, such as the Aussie Drop are older seed from the Dwarf Project, Goodoo and Yellwobelly are two indeterminate plants that I line from the Beauty family of the Dwarf project and have given working names to reflecting a couple of our native fish - the Goodoo or Murray Cod - this is a dark green almost blackish appearance with a red centre and the Yellowbelly or Golden Perch which has a yellow bottom to it. Both have a very good taste to me and the kids.

Roma '165' is seed from a commercial Roma fruit kept out of curiosity to see what comes, weight of fruit 165 grams.

Amish Paste
Arbuznyi
Aussie Drop F4
Barry's Crazy Cherry
Berkley Tie Dye
Black Icicle
Black Krimm
Black Zebra Cherry
Bloody Butcher
Blue Chocolate Cherry
Brads Black Heart
Carbon
Caro Rich
Cherry Gold
Chocolate Cherry
Clackmass Blueberry
Cornue des Andes
Costuloto Genovese sel Valante
Dr Wyche's Yellow
Earliana
Earls Faux Brandywine
Early Wonder
Erica d'Australie
Fahreniet Blues
German Johnson
Golden King of Siberia
Green Zebra
Heidi
Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues
Japanese Black Trifele
Jersey Devil
KARMA Pink
Large Barred Boar
Lithium Sunset
Low Acid Yellow
Low Acid Yellow Orange Heart 2014/2015
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka
Mint Julep
Moonshiners ball 15oz F5
Moonshiners Ball ex Chimeric Plant
Moya Jaune
Mr Mercury F3
Orange Grosse Lisse
Oxheart Pink
Pink Berkley Tie Dye
Pink Thai Egg
Pomodorino del Vesuvio
Pomodorino Inverno 'Torre Suda'
Red Bomb probably Shannons
Red Cherry Roma
Red/Green Munchkin
Roma '165'
Sara Black
Scatalone
Schimmeig Creg
Shannons
Surrey Cross
Verna Orange
Wes
White Zebra
Yellow Cherry Munchkin
Yellow Grosse Lisse
Yellow Pear
Yellow Striped Roman
"Goodoo"
"Yellowbelly"
Yellow Cherry
Tiny Tim
Blueberries
Saucemaker
Tasmanian Chocolate
San Marzano
Old October 2, 2018   #42
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Have also been growing some mixed lettuce, Bok Choy and Jade Numbat Zucchini. The latter was from old seed that was thought to have poor germination. The first 8 started off slow when sown and placed next to the tomatoes with two eventually coming up after the tomatoes were all potted up and I could get them on heat. So I sowed some more, another 14 to be exact, which went straight onto heat and now I have 19 seedlings on the move to some extent, even if most of the second 14 the roots are showing by a centimetre or less.

Will post some photos within the next day or two.

Woz
Old October 2, 2018   #43
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

A good plant list Woz. I am attempting a few and have two varieties in from your list, Black Krim & MS. lol

I put seeds in for Black Crimea, not thinking they were the same as Black Krim.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2018   #44
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Wore myself out reading your list Woz! Some very fine tomatoes indeed.
Old October 3, 2018   #45
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Thanks mcsee and Ray, season started slow but took off with a bit of a burst after a couple of weeks. Now it is cucumber and pumpkin time with the Jade Numbats taking off, some large white cucumbers and it looks like some other pumpkins are on the move on the heat pad. I will be going through the punnets again over the weekend. Soon I must get carrots, beetroot and parsnip in. Would like to get some celeriac going but have not had any success germinating it as of yet. Any tips from anyone would be appreciated.
Woz