Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 27, 2007   #1
rzr
Tomatovillian™

Default saving seeds

I have two kelogs breakfast seeds that germinated with sort of a brown fury stump at the base of the stem. There are leaves starting to grown from it but it is definitly stunted and is getting going a bit slower then the other plants.

These are the only ones that germinated actually. So my question is, if it produces fine later on, if I save the seeds from one of the tomatos, would they be ok seeds or would they start out like these?
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2007   #2
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Most likely the fact that the leaves are not popping up correctly is not a genetic trait, and knowing this since you received your seeds from me, because I have had only a few of them come up, and those few had a rough time. Now they looking much better. Infact one of my KB's look better now than over half my plants. So if your plants actually produce fruit, then your saved seed would probably work better, being fresher, as this last batch of seed was obviously not in the best health. But they still carry the Kellegs breakfast genes. (That is if the really are Kellegs breafeast). Which I presume they are, coming from tomato growers supply.

Last edited by CLa; February 27, 2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2007   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzr View Post
I have two kelogs breakfast seeds that germinated with sort of a brown fury stump at the base of the stem. There are leaves starting to grown from it but it is definitly stunted and is getting going a bit slower then the other plants.
Have you read this thread about Seed Starting?
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...3314#post35359
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2007   #4
celticman
Tomatovillian™

Default kB

I seem to recall reading so were (that other place on the web) that KB was a slow starter. I grown it as I recall decent germination but it seemed to start slower than the more energetic toms.
celtic
celticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2007   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

If I'm picturing this correctly you've got a brown stump where a growing leader stem should be appearing and the cotyledons were on either side and now you're getting some true leaves on either side but nothing growing from that brown stump.

Not good. Because you're going to end up with a seedling that has no central leader stem.

I usually, but not always, see such a situation with older seeds. And it's not all that common, actually.

Quite frankly if you see nothing coming from that central brown stem I wouldn't even bother growing those seedlings b'c they will not give you a normal plant.