Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 16, 2007   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Spagnum moss peat- the best.

I dont know why it is but genuine spagnum moss peat is always so superior for growing seedlings and plants in than any other type of peat- if you can get it.

The best we can get comes straight from the Irish Bogs and is generaly thought of as giving the best results-Bullrush being the favourite brand name.

I have tried all types of peat in the past , sedge peat which is black, Baltic peat imported from finland and the other baltic countries, which smells great and looks good but still doesn't come up to standards of spagnum moss peat and I often wonder why that is-perhaps its because it holds more air round the roots and is more spongy etc.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Funny, the difference in availability of products in different parts of the world. Pretty much all the peat that I've ever seen in the states is spagnum, and I've never even used any other kind. So I have no basis for comparison.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2007   #3
wilderness1989
Tomatovillian™

Default Sphagnum moss

Sphagnum moss is renewable as it grows and is harvested in places like Wisconsin. Unlike peat moss or sphagnum peat which are non-renewable, dead products dug from the earth.
Old February 16, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Oh dear, whether Peat is renewable is another political discussion. Who knew there were so many politics to gardening.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2007   #5
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

In the Uk we have about eight different kinds of peat on offer every year- plus loads of new ideas on potting and seed composts without peat in it, by the conservation groups,etc, and I have tried most of them in my time- but you still cant beat a genuine spagnum moss peat for best results,

Before the introduction of it into composts, the Irish used to dig it and burn it on their home fires as fuel, and still do-some of them,

It will eventualy run out, and it will be a very sad day when it does, as there is nothing quite like it.

The only other type of peat that gives almost as good results is one very dark almost black peat they used to extract from somewhere on the yorkshire moors and then put through a mill and milled very fine,-brilliant for sowing seeds into, but alas that has all finished now,and the company concerned (Fisons fertilizers) has packed up and gone to another area, where they continue to dig an inferior quality peat.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote