Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 8, 2007   #1
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Default Too hot for seeds?

My heating pad died, so I put my seeds in a sunny window during the day and then move them at night away from the window. The tray has a clear plastic cover on it. I noticed it gets pretty warm. Should I take the cover off, or poke some holes in it? I hope I didn't cook my pepper seeds.

Thanks,
Tyff
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

They don't need to be in the window to germinate and once they do germinate, they shouldn't be under the dome anymore. So if you have two trays, use one away from the window with the dome. When they pop out, move them to the open tray in the window. That way you won't have to worry about it getting too warm.
Old March 8, 2007   #3
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Michelle. I put them in the window because I thought the warmth from the sun would help them germinate. I've put them on my fridge before, but I have a bunch of stuff stored there now. I guess I'll find another place for the seeds while they are germinating.

Tyff
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #4
lakshmi
Tomatovillian™

You could try over your hot water tank (check temp?). That's where I put my peppers because I couldn't fit a tray with a dome over my fridge. They just germinated yesterday and I moved them under shop lights.

Lakshmi
lakshmi is offline   Reply With Quote