Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 24, 2016   #316
kath
Tomatovillian™

What a paradise, Marsha- I just love seeing all the beautiful fruits and flowers!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #317
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pictures Marsha - a true tropical paradise!
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #318
jillian
Tomatovillian™

You really have created your own slice of paradise, just beautiful! Love viewing all of the pics. How awesome it would be to just step outside and pick a pineapple or mango!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #319
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Love the pictures.....

Have you tried growing an Avacado tree or know someone that does? My neighbor has tried twice (grafted trees and both times it died).

Your muncher cucumber plant looks great. First you will get tons of male flowers, then females and bees....then you will be inundated with cukes. You should have lots of bees with the Ixora flowers.
All the avocados are coming down with some incurable affliction, in a few years there might be devastation of the avocado groves we are famous for.
I hope you are right about the cucumbers. I also have a very small Sweet Success seedling in an adjacent EB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Marsha, you are killing me. All this beautiful flowers. Your mango tree is a machine. Nice lettuce, cucumber plant and more.
I had to google Mamey Sapote. Never even heard about it before. How does it taste? I have being to Florida many, many times, never seen one.
I want to move to FL. I do not care about the heat, it is 98 here, who gives...
Come on down Ella. Our winters are to die for. We almost never get any hotter than 94, mostly its around 89-91, being peninsular helps, because of ocean breezes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
What a paradise, Marsha- I just love seeing all the beautiful fruits and flowers!
thank you very much Kath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfling View Post
Beautiful pictures Marsha - a true tropical paradise!
Many thanks. Gerardo suggested I put a cacao tree under the mango. That would bpe perfect for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
You really have created your own slice of paradise, just beautiful! Love viewing all of the pics. How awesome it would be to just step outside and pick a pineapple or mango!
It does take a little of the edge off of not being able to get a fresh garden tomato at this time of year. I'm kinda jealous of you guys that can grow in the summer. I have to wait until late fall or winter to get mine.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2016   #320
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Esmeralda Golosina
Another GWR. This is my second year in a row growing it. Complex balanced on the sweet side flavor. 1-2 oz saladette usually in clusters of 4, PL, indeterminate, OP.
Marsha,

How large did Esmeralda Golosina get for you (plant growth, not fruit size)? And how would you compare the flavor to, say, Lime Green Salad (which for me produces fairly intense fruit on the tart side of things)?

The J&L website seems to indicate that EG is an extremely sweet tomato, but your description makes it sound more balanced but just leaning more toward sweet.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2016   #321
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

It's a full indeterminate grown here where I have a 9 month season, it ended up being about 8 feet tall. I have grown LGS and that is definitely much tarter then EG, but for me there was a good amount of acid to balance it. Most think the flavor of EG is wonderful, I can think of one who did not, but he had rain and everything was bland.
It has been grown twice for me, never bland.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2016   #322
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thx, Marsha. I was considering trying it in a container, but it sounds like it deserves ground space. I'll put in on the queue for a future growlist.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote