Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 27, 2012   #31
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
...but I decided to not hold it against her just yet.
Sure - that's good. Just make sure, though, that she does know that there isn't really a Santa Clause, OK? That way you know she has a grip on reality. I mean -- cuz most folks know that trolls aren't real! (cuz....gnomes are real and all....)

Last edited by babice; June 27, 2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: adding note in case peeps don't get my joke
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #32
tedln

Quote:
thats what Im saying!... but I decided to not hold it against her just yet.
Was she perhaps from Texas? We get very little education on gnomes and trolls in our school systems in Texas.

Ted
Old June 27, 2012   #33
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Was she perhaps from Texas? We get very little education on gnomes and trolls in our school systems in Texas.

Ted
No the funny part is that she's actually a 4th grade teacher, has at least 1 masters and is quite smart. Sometimes things like gnomes dont fit in formal education I only know the difference because we used them for a prank photo session one time with some friends.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #34
starrywishes
Tomatovillian™

wow crandrew those are very nice looking plants....!
starrywishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012   #35
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
Cranorama - you had me totally laughing out loud here at work! Oh - and any woman that doesn't know that's a gnome versus a troll.... ....well.... I'm jes' sayin'.
C, I'm with babice! It's the first thing that came to my mind!

Jes' sayin', too.

Good of you not to hold it against her, just yet.........

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2012   #36
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

^ yeah

So pulled a blushing Black Krim and two bloody butchers off yesterday. Im going to let them ripen up then i'll take shots and post some taste comments
I see a BLT in my future with the BK.
Old July 5, 2012   #37
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Had my first BLack Krim today, and...It was great!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341464894.262215.jpg

Look at the color

[ATTACH]26280[/ATTACH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341465005.849466.jpg (201.8 KB, 32 views)
Old July 5, 2012   #38
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Being from Southern Cal I can believe she didn't know what a Gnome was. Over here they are quite common in peoples gardens. I sent my brother one of these.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/imag...img=0&s=garden

BTW, nice looking maters. Ami
Old July 5, 2012   #39
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Crandrew,

You da MAN!

An accomplished heirloom gardener, an appreciator of "just enough" garden kitsch, AND a master of storytelling with emoticons----if your date doesn't realize what a catch you are, she's missing out.... ;-p

Congrats on the harvest. Pack your passport for that couch-surfing tour so you can pop across the border....

Z
zabby17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2012   #40
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

BTW, Crandrew, in response to this comment:

I wish I grew enough mators to dehydrate,It just takes so much to get a few OZ or LBS.

I recommend dehydrating cherry toms. Many cherry varieties are so productive, If you can dedicate the product of one good plant, or even half, to drying, you can get a nice batch.

I slice 'em in half, put 'em in the oven with a light dusting of salt, put on lowest setting. They only take about three to six hours to dry (maybe ten for big cherries like Black Cherry), much faster than the plum tomatoes usually used for drying. And then when you use them, there's no chopping---just throw 'em into the salad, bread dough, stew, or whatever.

And you don't need many to give a big boost of flavour to things.

I keep 'em in baggies in the freezer and use all year for a shot of summer. (Of course, it is more like summer all year where you live, sigh.)

If you use a dehydrator and are sure they have absolutely no moisture you can keep them in a jar on the shelf, but I have lost the occasional batch to mold since I do it a little more haphazardly in the oven, and it's TOO SAD to lose anything so good, so the freezer it is---don't take much room.

Z
P.S. Are you growing Sungold? It's so sweet, if you dry it it tastes almost like a fig!
zabby17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2012   #41
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Had my first BLack Krim today, and...It was great!

Look at the color
Oh my my.....dreaming... Looks scrump-dilly-ishes
Old July 5, 2012   #42
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Did you try the Bloody Butchers yet? I have a plant down at the lakeside garden, in the shade producing like crazy (wonder what it would do in full sun!). Hope they taste good!

So, um, I know people do have trolls in their gardens.....but what do they actually "do"? lol
Old July 5, 2012   #43
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
So, um, I know people do have trolls in their gardens.....but what do they actually "do"? lol
Well - my gnome chases away the rabbits. He only shoos them away...he would never hurt any animal. I told him not to bother our chipmunk (his name is Hoover...the chipmunk that is...) because DH and I like him. But he's going to let me know if he sees more than the one chipmunk and we'll talk about whether he should shoo them elsewhere. He also walks around at night and pulls weeds for me. He avoids the spots where I have those glow light thingies because he doesn't want the neighbors to see him. To thank him, I let him eat what he wants. So, he munches on my parsley and carrots and the basil that I planted in his flower pot for him. We have a good relationship!

p.s. mine is a house gnome, which is why he can speak our language
p.s.s. comparatively - if there were a troll in my garden, it would just be a statue sitting there as an ornament....

Last edited by babice; July 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: woah - spelling error
Old July 5, 2012   #44
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Being from Southern Cal I can believe she didn't know what a Gnome was. Over here they are quite common in peoples gardens. I sent my brother one of these.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/imag...img=0&s=garden

BTW, nice looking maters. Ami
Oh yes and quite an easy thing to mixup. I mean even the amazon link is a hybrid gnome with troll mix.
Old July 5, 2012   #45
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabby17 View Post
Crandrew,

You da MAN!

An accomplished heirloom gardener, an appreciator of "just enough" garden kitsch, AND a master of storytelling with emoticons----if your date doesn't realize what a catch you are, she's missing out.... ;-p

Congrats on the harvest. Pack your passport for that couch-surfing tour so you can pop across the border....

Z
thanks Z! Yes I also do need to visit that side of the border. I hear nothing but great things!

Also great idea on the cherry Tom dehydration.

And no sun gold this year but deff next as it seems to be a top choice on here.
The gold'ish/red mators in the bowl are Bloody Butchers i pulled early to ripen off the vine.

Last edited by Crandrew; July 5, 2012 at 01:13 PM.