Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 19, 2014   #91
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Last batch of Winter Tomatoes. Now we can move on to spring planting

Attached Images
File Type: jpg last_batch.jpg (94.9 KB, 219 views)
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #92
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Delerium, send some our way.
It looks delicious.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #93
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Delerium, send some our way.
It looks delicious.
Sure! Come on over. We gave some extra's to our Neighbors. Today was such a beautiful day. Once i finish my cup of coffee we are prepping some vegetable plants to give away to local friends and neighbors. I will be sneaking some grafted plants and won't say anything just to see their reaction when they get multiple varieties off the plants when it starts fruiting.

It's like Nirvana when you see lush green and sunshine. Perfect day! The tomato grafts are coming along great. In the front you maybe able to spot the double stacked graft. I left the clips on since its a bit windy but holding up well. I never bothered to pot up plants just planted them straight to save time.

So far i have about 32 grafted plants in the ground now. Going to be a fun year.

Onions

Oyster Mushrooms

Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden.jpg (162.7 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg tomato_grafts.jpg (245.1 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg onions.jpg (161.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg oyster_mushrooms3.jpg (100.8 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by Delerium; February 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old February 20, 2014   #94
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Learning to graft cukes. I usually always direct seed cukes but figured i might as well give it a go and see how easy or not so easy it is. Testing graft 123 Testing...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grafting_cukes.jpg (49.9 KB, 315 views)
Old February 20, 2014   #95
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

Everything looks GREAT! You make me feel like a "slacker" now for not having all of my plants and growing beds ready to go .

I've got about 35 newish grafts hardening off in the greenhouse now, but I probably won't set them out in the garden for another week or two. I'm still doing new grafts - I think I've got about 15 or 20 more varieties to do. Just doing single grafts at the moment - will get fancier with leftovers once I've got all the singles done. It'll be fun to see how all your plants turn out with all of your multiple grafts.

Oh, and congrats on your successful mushroom projects! Looks like a fun project.

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #96
DSEVERANCE
Tomatovillian™

You folks in CA! Up here in Eastern WA we can't set tomatoes out until the first of June. I have some rootstock up along with a few tomato varieties but they will be in gallon pots before they are planted.
DSEVERANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #97
DSEVERANCE
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Learning to graft cukes. I usually always direct seed cukes but figured i might as well give it a go and see how easy or not so easy it is. Testing graft 123 Testing...

Have you had any experience grafting a tomato rootstock to an eggplant?
Old February 20, 2014   #98
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

tomato rootstock to an eggplant

Yes. It will work both ways. Eggplant to Tomato or Tomato to Eggplant. The nice thing about tomato root stock to eggplant is that you can carry over eggplant cuttings without having to start them from seed again.
Old February 20, 2014   #99
DSEVERANCE
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
tomato rootstock to an eggplant

Yes. It will work both ways. Eggplant to Tomato or Tomato to Eggplant. The nice thing about tomato root stock to eggplant is that you can carry over eggplant cuttings without having to start them from seed again.
Never thought about that..Good point!
Old February 20, 2014   #100
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi Delerium,

Everything looks GREAT! You make me feel like a "slacker" now for not having all of my plants and growing beds ready to go .

I've got about 35 newish grafts hardening off in the greenhouse now, but I probably won't set them out in the garden for another week or two. I'm still doing new grafts - I think I've got about 15 or 20 more varieties to do. Just doing single grafts at the moment - will get fancier with leftovers once I've got all the singles done. It'll be fun to see how all your plants turn out with all of your multiple grafts.

Oh, and congrats on your successful mushroom projects! Looks like a fun project.

Anne
Thank you Anne! I was wondering about you as i haven't heard from you in awhile. Was tempted to send ya a PM to see what ya up to . Isn't this weather fantastic? I couldn't resist planting. Agribon has been my friend since growing the winter tomatoes and the plants surviving the hard freezes we had for several weeks and still surviving through it has convinced me we could handle whatever upcoming swings in weather we might have. Oh by the way, are you familiar with Omar's Lebanese being potato leaf? The seed packet was from burpee and i found a potato leaf Omar among the regular leaf and wanted to see how it would compare to the regular leaf. Now that the plants are in the ground - the fun is just about to start
Old February 20, 2014   #101
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I have few dwarf varieties of Prudent's Purple and Sweet Sue growing in containers to be replanted later. They are 1.5 inches long.

kudos to you
Next to the snow on the roof the little once look great. An inspiration from you is what we need in the north...

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #102
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I have few dwarf varieties of Prudent's Purple and Sweet Sue growing in containers to be replanted later. They are 1.5 inches long.

kudos to you
Next to the snow on the roof the little once look great. An inspiration from you is what we need in the north...
Anne got me interested in Dwarfs and testing out some Dwarf grafts. I picked up 7-8 Dwarf varieties from Heritage seeds. So far.. Heritage is fav seed source for tomatoes and been very happy with his customer service and good seed germination results. Plus he always adds a freebie. I like dat!
Old February 21, 2014   #103
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

How nice of you to be wondering about my whereabouts !
I've been plugging away with finishing my greenhouse and doing my grafting. Have had an unusual number of failures this season - due, I'm sure, to my impatience and grafting seedlings that are just too small or with slightly mismatched stem diameters. Slowly but surely, though, I'm building up my stock of single grafted plants. Once they're done, it's on to more experimentation.

For past few batches of grafts, I've been rooting the rootstock top that I've gut off for the graft. I've about run out of my rootstock with roots still attached so I've started using the cuttings - so I guess I'm now sort of doing a modified "no root" graft .

That agribon seems really useful. I was reading about it in the Johnny's catalog and see that it comes in various light transmission levels - including 50%. I wonder how it might work as a shade cloth here in the central valley during the summer. (With such beautiful weather now, I'm afraid this coming summer will be a real scorcher!).

I half-heartedly tried a cucumber graft last season - just 3 plants with (unintentionally, of course) imperfect grafts that all failed. However, of interest is that I used a kabocha squash type from Kitazawa recommended as a rootstock for watermelon, melons, and cucumbers - Tetsukabuto. Good luck with your graft!

Time to go pick up things in the garden a bit. I'm having someone over in a few days to do some major branch cutting on the rear neighbor's tree that hangs over the fence into our yard. Should give me a lot more light for my veggies! Gotta try and get a bunch of stuff done out there in the next few days as we're supposed to have another storm come through next week and I can't work in a muddy garden.

Looking forward to your new no-root grafting video whenever it's done !

Anne
Old February 21, 2014   #104
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Anne your absolutely right. No reason to discard the top portion of your root stock that you would normally discard. When you can graft immediately on to it with another scion and re-root it.

Day 2 of the Cucumber graft still looks good. If this takes.. I'd be totally surprised.

If our upcoming summers are going to be hot hot hot.. I'm thinking we need some Getto cheap Air con running on a cheap solar panels to keep our tomatoes cool hehe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm0e2TwvXfQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg day2_graft.jpg (99.8 KB, 303 views)
Old February 21, 2014   #105
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

The cuke graft is looking good.

I like the idea of a cheap-o solar powered AC - although I'm afraid my garden is too big for that, it would be fun in the greenhouse. The youtube video you linked to is basically the same principle as the cooler I had for my little healing chamber set-up. (I need to look at some of the other videos on cheap solar diy projects that might be applicable to my little greenhouse).

I also need (or want) to find out how swamp coolers work or how to cool with evaporation. I was wondering if you could have some agribon shades over the garden that you hit with an automatic mister system (like people have on their patios in hot climates) on a timer to keep things cool without getting too humid under the shade and encouraging fungus, etc. Maybe if you mist from the top and have a bit of a breeze, you could cool things down without wetting the plants, etc.

Something fun to think about.
I've been meaning to ask .... Since you have had so many successful grafts, it seems like the only reason (or one of the few reasons) at this point that you might have had a failure would have been a genetic incompatibility between the rootstock and scion. So.... have you come across any combinations that seem to be incompatible. (I recall Bill mentioning some specific combinations that just never seemed to work for him).

Anne