Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 4, 2019   #16
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i tried the first ripe tomato off plant no.2 an orange plum tomato.
it had good flavor with an acid bite. we had a bunch of rain yesterday, so was
expecting a watered down taste. i was pleasantly surprised. this will be one worth pursuing. one more is finishing ripening on the window sill. i'll have to let my wife have
a bite of this one.

keith
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #17
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

sampled plant 3 fat orange plum.

flavor decent
texture was on the mealy side. due to weather or the tomato itself i dunno.
a fair amount of seeds in each tomato. like the others though, on the dry side.
not a lot of juice in them.
squeezed out seeds from several tomatoes, and they are fermenting.

plant no.2 (not) orange plum, but pink plum
tomatoes are ripening on the sill. they sure look pink to me. seed saving will start soon on those.
this one is most subject to blossom end rot.

plant no. 1 pink plum
tomatoes ripening on sill for seed saving.
of the three larger plum type tomatoes, i think this one has the best flavor so far.
seem to be taking the longest to ripen after the first two tomatoes

keith

Last edited by rxkeith; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:06 PM. Reason: color
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

plant no. 2 pink plum seeds are squeezed.

this is one meaty tomato. a few seeds, very little juice. i squeezed hard. might make a good cooking or sauce tomato in the future.

keith
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

seeds are drying for all five plants now.

my modest little project has given me better in sight of what all of you have done in creating new varieties.

looking forward to next year, i need to decide how i want to proceed.
the obvious ones for me to grow are the little oxheart, and the small pear tomato.
those two are the earliest, and the best tasting. third place would be plant no.1 pink plum. decent flavor, less blossom end rot than pink plum no.2.

but then, what about the other two f2 seeds i have that haven't been grown yet?
one plant had a round cherry type fruit. the other plant had an elongated cherry type fruit. do i work them into the mix if i can and see if something else worth while comes out, or concentrate on just the f4 generation.
just how much more diversity will be in those f2 seeds that haven't been grown out compared to what appeared this year i wonder.

what would all y'all do that are stabilizing crosses? what has worked out best for you?

keith
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Comes back to space and time Keith. The more space you have the more plants you can growout, the more you can compare between the ones you like more and like less. Space and time will limit how many of these you choose to grow - space is obvious, time will effect the project by way of record keeping, from tagging each plant to keep track of its ancestry so that you know what line it is from, to taking photos of each plant and its fruit (do not rely solely on memory, it can play tricks) and written descriptions are important particularly in relation to taste.

Then there is the decision that you may want to make about ones that you think are worth growing on but do not have room for - do you grow different lines in alternate years or do you offer seed/plants to others to grow on
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #21
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i have lots of space, but we like to grow other things too, not just tomatoes, and why didn't i grow sun gold my wife scolded me earlier in the year.
i am thinking i have to grow a pink plum next year in addition to the small pear/plum tomato, and the small oxheart type tomato. this year taste was too good to just leave on the shelf for a year. that would give me three tomatoes significantly different from each other. probably 4 to 5 plants again for diversity.

three of my five plants sized upward to tomatoes in the 6oz range i would guess.
in the f4 stage, can i expect any further sizing up in the two smaller tomatoes i plan
to regrow?

or could any of the larger tomatoes size downward again?

at what stage will size be pretty much fixed, assuming two open pollenated parents in the initial cross, and no further crossing occurs? can size continue to vary in the f4 generation or beyond?

in regards to flavor, i don't know how difficult it is to fix a consistent flavor during the
stabilizing process. i know it depends on what you are dealing with to some extant. by f6 or f7 generation i should expect a finished product one way or the other.

keith