Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 29, 2009   #1
grodematers
Tomatovillian™

Default 2 year old yellow bell

This is my 2 year old yellow bell. I am going to see how long I can keep it alive and healthy. The first year I only got two peppers off the whole plant. This year there are these two bells and a lot more buds .
2yearoldyellowbell.jpg

2yryellbell.jpg

2yroldyellbell.JPG
grodematers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009   #2
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

good looking plant, I think I'll try to keep a couple of peppers over the winter this year. Did you do anything special?

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I've cut mine back and put them in a cool, dark room, and I've kept them warm in a brightly lit room. Both ways work. The biggest problem with over-wintering peppers is fighting off the inevitable aphid attack.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009   #4
grodematers
Tomatovillian™

This one cut itself back, It grew to about 3 feet last year. I thought it had lived its life, but there were two little branches that held on at the bottom. I brought it indoors whenever it got too cold for it outside, taking it outdoors on bright sunny days. By February it had filled out nicely and already had a head start with these two peppers forming. I re-potted it from a two and a half gallon pot into its new 5-gallon home in early March. The soil I used was Jungle Growth(flower & vegetable) pro potting mix. I gave it a soaking with Epsom salts and a half-strength dose of MG for roses. It has been watered with tap water ever since. It seems to be happy. The peppers are enticing me to pick them, but I have to let them yellow. Its like watching water boil, Ha Ha.

Oh and yes insects overwinter too ! , Black ants appear to be harvesting aphid juice and there is some kind of leaf footed nymph(best guess) amongst them. Internet pics have shown to be inconclusive. I haven't poisoned them YET, as they are not that plentiful. I am standing by with Neem oil. Hoping beneficials get them first. Hand picking seems to be working for now.

Last edited by grodematers; May 31, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
grodematers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I'd love to overwinter some, but I've had aphid problems too, whenever I've brought them into the house. I've tried the soap sprays, harsher insecticides, showers in the bathtub ... just when I think I haven't seen any for a few weeks, there they are again! Since I don't want them spreading to my other house plants, I've given up! I have some cayenne type peppers that I'm growing from some whole dried peppers that I brought back from Mexico last year. If I like them, I might try to bring one potted one back in the house for one last try this fall.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote