Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2017   #1
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone looking for a Fitbit HR?

I just ordered two, one for me and one for hubby. You can get them on 5 easy payments through QVC. It's a today's special only available today until it runs out. Of course you do have to allow automatic debiting of whatever card you use, but there is no interest charged. Win win, I try not to buy anything with interest if I can. A great way to save money.

http://www.qvc.com/Fitbit-Alta-HR-Ac...SV_OTO_INSTOCK

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #2
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I thought I would update on this post although nobody seemed to be interested in it.

I have returned them because what I did not know about them was the HR part is actually not something I can use with my heart condition. I did not know that until I received it and began reading the owner's manual before I set it up. So, back they both went because hubby does not want to use it around me. I told him it would be okay, it's not on me and he said no he doesn't want to remember to take it off before bed so it isn't close by me. Maybe more than needed for my health, but if it's bad for me, how good can it be for healthy persons?

This is their warning in the manual for pre-existing conditions.

Consult your doctor prior to use if you:
  • have a medical or heart condition
  • are taking any photosensitive medicine.
  • have epilepsy or are sensitive to flashing lights.
  • have reduced circulation or bruise easily.
  • have tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, or other musculoskeletal disorders
None of this was talked about in the demonstration. I can add carpel tunnel syndrome and other nerve issues to my list of medical issues on top of the heart, lung, and arthritis. Sheesh, why not talk about these things when they are demonstrating a product?

https://www.fitbit.com/legal/safety-instructions

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 16, 2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old May 16, 2017   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

Because many people do not read the manual and use it anyways. Good catch, and sorry it won't work for you.

Hope you can find something like that that will be a good one for you to use.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #4
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Because many people do not read the manual and use it anyways. Good catch, and sorry it won't work for you.

Hope you can find something like that that will be a good one for you to use.
Thanks, I wanted it for the HR component so I could keep and eye on my heart rate. It's the pulseplus that the HR uses which is the problem with the product. I also wanted to watch my sleeping too because I also have sleep apnea. So, yeah, lot's of dumb medical conditions to deal with on a daily basis.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 17, 2017   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

Trying to balance everything as we fall apart can be stressful!! It'll get better, the handling it all and balancing it all, don't be hard on your self. You do so much!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Thanks, I wanted it for the HR component so I could keep and eye on my heart rate. It's the pulseplus that the HR uses which is the problem with the product. I also wanted to watch my sleeping too because I also have sleep apnea. So, yeah, lot's of dumb medical conditions to deal with on a daily basis.

The key is that you're aware of them and dealing with them. Which I hope is true for the sleep apnea and that if you have been prescribed a cpap machine, you're using it. Unmanaged sleep apnea and the resulting sleep deprivation can have a massive impact on so many other health conditions, not just for the sufferer, but also their bed mate.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #7
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
The key is that you're aware of them and dealing with them. Which I hope is true for the sleep apnea and that if you have been prescribed a cpap machine, you're using it. Unmanaged sleep apnea and the resulting sleep deprivation can have a massive impact on so many other health conditions, not just for the sufferer, but also their bed mate.
Yes, sure am. I've had a machine for 8 years now. Snored all my life though didn't know it was a medical issue until I was in my 40's. Now, if only I could get my snoring husband to get help with his.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 18, 2017   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, sure am. I've had a machine for 8 years now. Snored all my life though didn't know it was a medical issue until I was in my 40's. Now, if only I could get my snoring husband to get help with his.

Good for you! I could easily name about a dozen people who have been diagnosed and prescribed a cpap, but their machine has been shoved in a closet and ignored. My husband uses his faithfully and on the rare nights he dozes off without it, I wake him up so that he can put it on.

I remember the first week or two after he got it he and the difference in how much better both of us felt. It made us realize just how sleep deprived we had been.

The way I proved to him he needed to go get evaluated was by using our camera (this was the pre-smartphone era) to take a short video of him while he slept. I showed it to him the next day, and he immediately called his doctor and requested a referral to a sleep lab. A couple of friends have done the same with their mates.
Old May 18, 2017   #9
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I had it only because I was curious how much I was moving and sleeping, once I was satisfied with the result I stopped using it. I also don't like how FitBit eating up the market.

There is rumor Apple is working on implementing glucose monitor to their smartwatch though, I will get that once it's available.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #10
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Good for you! I could easily name about a dozen people who have been diagnosed and prescribed a cpap, but their machine has been shoved in a closet and ignored. My husband uses his faithfully and on the rare nights he dozes off without it, I wake him up so that he can put it on.

I remember the first week or two after he got it he and the difference in how much better both of us felt. It made us realize just how sleep deprived we had been.

The way I proved to him he needed to go get evaluated was by using our camera (this was the pre-smartphone era) to take a short video of him while he slept. I showed it to him the next day, and he immediately called his doctor and requested a referral to a sleep lab. A couple of friends have done the same with their mates.
It's hard to get used to using a mask. Getting comfortable and not having what's called washout happen while your sleeping. It is the hardest part and moving around too. The way I fixed most of that issue is to hang the tube above my head on the headboard with a towel draped under it. This keeps it from moving too much but helps keep the washout water from getting into my mask. It also keeps most of it above my head, making moving easier.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 18, 2017   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone looking for a Fitbit HR?

Quote:
It's hard to get used to using a mask. Getting comfortable and not having what's called washout happen while your sleeping. It is the hardest part and moving around too. The way I fixed most of that issue is to hang the tube above my head on the headboard with a towel draped under it. This keeps it from moving too much but helps keep the washout water from getting into my mask. It also keeps most of it above my head, making moving easier.

Personally, I would be one of those people who would struggle with feelings of claustrophobia if I ever had to wear one. He initially had some issues with it, but they have resolved.

What finally helped him was switching to nasal pillows in place of a mask, running the tubing up and over the headboard, and I bought him an insulating sleeve for the tubing which eliminated the condensation issue. A couple of years ago he switched his neoprene strap headgear for the lightweight version which he loves.

Old May 18, 2017   #12
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Okay, on those the hose will swivel and go above your head? From the pics it looks like it just goes down. I had claustrophobia at first too. It was really hard getting used to but now I am ok. I had one of those hose covers but it didn't help when we were in the RV, the temps were just too hard to balance so I always had washout. I hated it, and admittedly it went into the closet for a few months before we moved to the house. The temps here are easily maintained so I don't have much issue anymore unless the temps fluctuate very cold outside with the weather. Then I can adjust the humidifier and it takes care of it.

~Margaret Atwood~