Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old June 7, 2011   #1
John3
Tomatovillian™

Default Ocean Solution

Is anybody using (or have used) this product - Ocean Solution (mineralizer)
http://www.ocean-grown.com/
Pros and Cons
Also are there any other brands of ocean mineralizer.

John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2011   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I'm using a product called Sea Crop - early in the season for me, so no real feedback yet. Not sure if it's the same type of product, but info is here: http://www.sea-crop.com/

There's also http://www.seaagri.com/ Again, not sure of the similarities.

One thing to keep in mind: these products (any many others on the market) are sources of valuable micronutrients. But, unless your majors are in place first - meaning NPK plus Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur, etc. - the micros will offer very little if any benefit.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2011   #3
John3
Tomatovillian™

Thanks fortyonenorth

Well from what I have read so far all three (Ocean Solution, Sea Crop and Sea 90) have one thing in common - Dr. Murray.
Just a note - Sea 90 says they get there's from a coastal area but does not say USA or Canada- might find when I read more. And sea 90 is a solid.
Old June 7, 2011   #4
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Looks promising - but I noticed the application rates for the Sea Crop is 5 tablespoons per gallon. If you buy the 16oz container, for $34, you get 6.4 applications. For some folks here, they'd need a 16oz container per "watering".

Maybe I'm reading it wrong...?
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2011   #5
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post
Looks promising - but I noticed the application rates for the Sea Crop is 5 tablespoons per gallon. If you buy the 16oz container, for $34, you get 6.4 applications. For some folks here, they'd need a 16oz container per "watering".

Maybe I'm reading it wrong...?
Ocean solution
100 : 1 - about 1 ounce to a gal of water

a liter is about 34 ounces so one liter makes about 34 gals

1 liter is $30.00 plus 18.00 s&h (North America)

And for Home Gardens use as a foliar spray
Old June 7, 2011   #6
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Ocean solution
100 : 1 - about 1 ounce to a gal of water

a liter is about 34 ounces so one liter makes about 34 gals

1 liter is $30.00 plus 18.00 s&h (North America)

And for Home Gardens use as a foliar spray

That seems a lot better than the application rates for Sea Crop - assuming I'm reading their application rates correctly.
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2011   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

This is what I use from the folks that make EM (Effective Microorganisms) and a little goes along way. Ami

http://www.em-chiemgau.de/php/produk...ail.php?id=238
Old June 8, 2011   #8
John3
Tomatovillian™

jdm fish the Sea Crop ratio for home gardening is the same Ocean Solution.
Sea Crop
"Foliar Spray: Sea-Crop diluted to a 1% solution can be used as a foliar spray. A minimum of 3 applications per season applied at 1 to 3 week intervals are recommended. Customers have reported that ½% solution of Sea-Crop works well to suppress both powdery and downy mildews."
Old June 8, 2011   #9
John3
Tomatovillian™

Ami thanks for the info
Old June 8, 2011   #10
TerraGenics
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
One thing to keep in mind: these products (any many others on the market) are sources of valuable micronutrients. But, unless your majors are in place first - meaning NPK plus Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur, etc. - the micros will offer very little if any benefit.
Basically agree. Sea-90 is a whole natural sea salt. Ocean Solution is a seawater concentrate and so is Sea-Crop. Each are made using very different processes.

Quote:
Sea 90 says they get there's from a coastal area but does not say USA or Canada
From the Salton Sea basically from what I understand. A product like this is mostly sodium chloride.

Quote:
You can get Sea-Crop for about $30 per gallon from certain sources in 5 gallon sizes. $34 per 16 oz is a bit crazy. At the most you should be paying about $60 per gallon delivered.

Quote:
That seems a lot better than the application rates for Sea Crop - assuming I'm reading their application rates correctly.
Yeah but what results do you get at the recommended concentrations for Ocean Solution?

Quote:
Foliar Spray: Sea-Crop diluted to a 1% solution can be used as a foliar spray. A minimum of 3 applications per season applied at 1 to 3 week intervals are recommended.
Studies have shown that 1 1% soil drench at transplant and 2 1% foliar applications provide excellent results.
TerraGenics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2011   #11
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraGenics View Post
You can get Sea-Crop for about $30 per gallon from certain sources in 5 gallon sizes. $34 per 16 oz is a bit crazy. At the most you should be paying about $60 per gallon delivered.
Do you have links(s) for these sources? I see at your site it's $80.00 per 2 1/2 gal. I think (not sure) but for most home gardening isn't that a lot?

I did read that you offer a trial at 50% discount - but not sure how it works for a home gardener (it looks to be for farmers with acres)

Last edited by John3; June 9, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old June 9, 2011   #12
John3
Tomatovillian™

TerraGenics, Have you thought about offering Tomatovillians Sea-Crop in a quart size testing in home gardens? Just wondering.