Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 24, 2014   #1
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Default i planted bush scallop squash but...

bush scallop did not grow, the plant grew, fruit grew, but it is not white bush scallop! i think it's an acorn squash which is disappointing because i was wanting summer squash in this spot not winter. has anyone ever heard of seeds getting mixed up? i bought these from the store they were ferry morse. i only own two types of squash seeds so i really don't know how this got mixed up, i've never bought acorn squash
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I had a pickling cucumber that wasn't one time. For all the world the cukes seemed like straight 8s. That was a Burpee seed pack. I don't know if it was simply wrong packaging or if it may have been a hybrid.

It sure messed up my pickle making plans....

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

That's happened to me. I've planted a rows of butter lettuce but there would be a few heads of leaf lettuce mixed in. Do you know if your whole seed packet is that way or did you just grow one plant?
Old May 25, 2014   #4
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

i think i planted all of them that i had, i'll check my seed box but i'm pretty sure i ran them out
Old May 27, 2014   #5
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootLoops View Post
bush scallop did not grow, the plant grew, fruit grew, but it is not white bush scallop! i think it's an acorn squash which is disappointing because i was wanting summer squash in this spot not winter. has anyone ever heard of seeds getting mixed up? i bought these from the store they were ferry morse. i only own two types of squash seeds so i really don't know how this got mixed up, i've never bought acorn squash
Are you sure its not a yellow scallop squash? It looks like the white but is yellow and I think it taste the same.
Axixic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014   #6
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

na these are not even close to a scallop, all the bush scallop i've grown have started off with that ufo disc shape as soon as the blooms fatten up, these are acorn shaped and a dark dark hunter green with light green mixed in. i was really looking forward to getting to eat some this year last years got eaten up with the pickle worms
Old May 28, 2014   #7
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I purchased seeds that were supposed to be chives but appear to be basil. And in another instance yellow golden wax beans have turned out to be a pole bean of a yet to be determined variety. Good help is hard to get.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014   #8
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

well on the upside last year i missed the boat to plant any winter squash so i will get to eat some this year maybe!