Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old December 9, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Bread

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?NKEQT 9 December 2013 Bread
Bread was made from fresh ground whole wheat grains and a litre of apple juice http://www.durgan.org/URL/?PTKKA 12 September 2013 Juicing Apples and corn http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GKCNW 2 August 2013 Corn Juice.The flour mill is perfect and is very quick. I have no gluten intolerance issues so am not concerned about wheat belly. Some leavening was obtained from double action baking powder. Liquid was obtained from apple and corn preserved in the Summer.Texture is ideal and taste is slightly sweet. The finished bread must be kept frozen if kept for more than about ten days.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2013   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Wow....looking delicious, Durgan. Where did you get the flour mill? Sounds like something I could use.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2013   #3
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Did you wear out your cutting board between September when you processed the apples and now when you made your bread?

When the apocalypse happens I'd like to be near you dude.

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2013   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Wow....looking delicious, Durgan. Where did you get the flour mill? Sounds like something I could use.
Flour mill was from the internet. It is truly a marvel. After doing a study of current milling of our flour, I decided to do something about improving.
http://www.rawnutrition.ca/en/equipm...FYhcMgodmH0AYg Wonder Mill Electric Grain Mill

I would like to purchase the wheat in large bulk and store in a plastic container, since it is relatively expensive from a bulk store, but so little is used that I suppose I will persist.

I like the bread a bit leavened (with air pockets). It will keep indefinitely if not leavened but is a pain to use. meaning so hard it must be soaked. Baking powder works fine as opposed to yeast and the rising action is relatively quick.
Old December 12, 2013   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for sharing this. I buy two loaves of whole grain bread at the grocery store for about $3 per loaf, whatever brand is on sale. I find them all to be too sweet. A loaf of quality bread from a bakery would be close to $7 / $8 each, and I live in what is considered a low cost of living area. That looks so much better and you can control the ingredients. Another reason to visit the health food store! Thanks again. - Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2013   #6
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I recommend making a sourdough starter. The bread turns out fabulous. Here's an easy video on how to do it:

http://youtu.be/PKxffBAYs2s
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2013   #7
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I recommend making a sourdough starter. The bread turns out fabulous. Here's an easy video on how to do it:

This recipe rocks:

http://youtu.be/be57uXRf5xo
Old December 13, 2013   #8
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post

This recipe rocks:

http://youtu.be/be57uXRf5xo
From where I sit the process is too complicated Our food system is full of quickly produced food or meals if you like. The home cook has been complaining about food preparation ever since Eve was chasing Adam around the garden. If one has the bucks a separate cook can prepare meals, but the average housekeeper doesn't like spending any time in food preparation. Evidence to support my observation, simply look at all the junk in the isles of supermarkets.

My bread has a nice taste and is relatively simple to produce with the minimum of ingredients and tools.
Old December 13, 2013   #9
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've made "no-knead" whole-wheat bread a few times. You prepare a more-liquid dough, which you can store in the refrigerator and use for up to 2 weeks. It gets more sour, so if you use the dough at 2 weeks it has a lovely sourdough flavor.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2013   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Bread

Once you have your starter, it's a piece of.... Bread! I have one that's several years old and still going strong. I don't do much bread baking in the summer time, but it has survived months of neglect and now that winter is here it'll get a lot more attention. The no knead recipes are great if you don't want to take the time to make a traditional loaf. And yes, retarding the dough (placing it in the fridge for a super slow and long rise) will go a long way towards improving the flavor of any yeast bread dough.

If you own a heavy duty food processor, there's a great book called "The Best Bread Ever: Great Homemade Bread Using Your Food Processor" by Charles Van Over. It has instructions for quickly making dough for breads that traditionally require lots of kneading. It's out of print, but used copies are available on Amazon. If I have time, though, I will gladly spend ten minutes hand kneading dough. I find it somewhat meditative.

Last edited by Father'sDaughter; December 14, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2013   #11
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I agree Father'sDaughter. Once you have the starter made, the time commitment for making the dough is about the same (as Durgan's technique). The starter takes about 3 minutes a day for 5-7 days to make. Then you just store it in the fridge and take it out when you need to use it. I have a stand mixer and use that to knead the dough (you can knead by hand for 10 min if you don't have a stand mixer). The rising process is slow with sourdough so I usually let it rise overnight or while I'm at work.
Old December 14, 2013   #12
salix
Tomatovillian™

Agree with the above - love my sourdough starter. It's the easiest household pet ever, once established, just needs a weekly feed! Durgan, good bread only requires 4 ingredients - flour, water, yeast and salt. I would add time and love...

That said, my usual bread has been described as porridge in a loaf. What can I say, its cheap, easy and very very tasty.
Old December 14, 2013   #13
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Agree with the above - love my sourdough starter. It's the easiest household pet ever, once established, just needs a weekly feed! Durgan, good bread only requires 4 ingredients - flour, water, yeast and salt. I would add time and love...

That said, my usual bread has been described as porridge in a loaf. What can I say, its cheap, easy and very very tasty.
The bread I make is excellent, but I will work on the sourdough business. I love my whole grain flour home produced above all. Also, I look upon the finished product as porridge or gruel in a loaf.
Old December 14, 2013   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Here is a sourdough Kamut ancient grains bread I made today for dinner. I bake bread almost every day, usually using a fully mature sourdough starter. Kamut is a low gluten bread, so I mixed it with my regular Central Milling flour.

I usually make an almost no-knead bread-I use 2 or 3 folds, with an initial proofing time of about 9-10 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0208.jpg (275.2 KB, 42 views)
Old December 14, 2013   #15
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Wow! That looks fantastic. Can you share the recipe?