Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 3, 2018   #31
jillian
Tomatovillian™

ColeRobbie, that bouquet is just beautiful! Looks like you are off to a great start.....please post more pics as you go along
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #32
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
My mother grows ornamental oregano "Herrnhausen". Good as a spice, but when it blooms, Oh Boy! It's gorgeous. It has a trailing habit, so would be good for hanging baskets. I never tried the flowers in a bouquet; maybe someone has experience with this? Do they last?

Nan
I don't think the individual florets last long, but there are a lot of buds on oregano.. actually the wine red buds are the most beautiful part (as well as the best spice IMO, for the common or gardener O. vulgare). I have several different types that emerged over (couple decades) of letting it go weedy mad in my garden, including a white flowered and some different bud architecture but no spires they are all panicles. I'll have to post pics when bouquet season rolls around.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #33
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Loving this thread! A good idea source you may want to take a peek at is Floret flowers- they put together seed collections in all sorts of color ways that may inspire some of your choices. Here's one based on your idea for using zinnias but do look at her others-
https://shop.floretflowers.com/colle...ion-fiesta-mix
I grew basil aromata last year as a pretty and nice smelling filler- herbs as fillers add a whole new dimension to me and I think that might translate at market well.
that is one of the nicest collections of flowers I have seen after taking 10 minutes to sit down and look at the site. thanks so much for the link. I was thinking ugh..25.00 a seed collection but, wow, you don't have to find all these "goes together nicely" varieties.
Old April 3, 2018   #34
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Jillian.

And yeah, the flower collections are neat. They must be popular, as most of them are sold out.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #35
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Not saying the Floret is bad in anyway just that most of flowers are available on other sites at lower prices. Even with shipping this place has a lot more to offer cheaper with more seeds per packet. https://www.seedaholic.com/flowers/t...ng-garden.html
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2018   #36
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
Not saying the Floret is bad in anyway just that most of flowers are available on other sites at lower prices. Even with shipping this place has a lot more to offer cheaper with more seeds per packet. https://www.seedaholic.com/flowers/t...ng-garden.html
maybe so but all the flowers from the other site appear to be specifically for cut flower production and the colors and varieties really are unique. some I have never seen before.
Old April 4, 2018   #37
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Floret also has a mission to call attention to and bring back heirloom flower varieties, which I like. Erin, the owner, is focusing quite a bit on sweet peas currently. I don't grow those but I still find it all interesting, so I follow her blog. I don't think many growers or seed companies (in the US at least) have this focus. Given all that, I am happy to pay her prices to support her efforts, much as many of us are happy to pay for seeds from our favorite tomato breeders who are furthering tomato varietal development.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #38
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had a grandma who called me "sweet pea" when I was a tiny little kid. I never really understood that was a flower. I've never grown it. Does it start well from seed?
Old April 4, 2018   #39
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

According to Floret it does!

I remember my grandmother loving them too and that they have a really great smell. I think there are two kinds of sweet peas-some that you trellis with longer stems to use for cut flowers and some you just let grow upwards on a trellis free form that you can't use for bouquets.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #40
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Johnny's has a nice selection of sweet pea:
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/flowers/sweet-peas/

There is also a warning about it being poisonous.
Old April 4, 2018   #41
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I can't stop! (Actually, I can now, because I'm out of money)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg johnnys.jpg (52.5 KB, 58 views)
Old April 4, 2018   #42
imp
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Peas grow well from seed and many of the older varieties have a great fragrance and can scent a room nicely when cut. They don't like high heat though, so I grow them early on.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2018   #43
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Choose wisely on the Sweet Pea. Some are serious climbers and viners. We have about 15 or so growing right now. So yeah, they grow from seed very easily.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2018   #44
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

The lady at my market sells in a vase and gives a discount on the next flower arrangement if they bring it back. She typically just uses what is in season and flowering. Sells a lot. She knows all the tricks of how to keep everything looking fresh for a long time so typically her arrangements look good about a week, which ofc is ideal for her to sell more every week. Most of her customers come back weekly. Oh and for what its worth hers are 10 dollars.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2018   #45
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

My son's property is overrun with sweet peas. He's fighting them back. They have beautiful blooms, but they grow like a weed here, and the variety (unknown) tolerates high heat. I even posted a picture here inquiring if anyone knew what it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0059.JPG (447.5 KB, 35 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote