Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 29, 2013   #1
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine Cowlicks Again

I have sung the praises of this tomato before, but I will never again plant 8 of them. I don't know what to do with them. Dear wife wants her kitchen counter back.

Harvest 7.29.13.jpg

The pinks are Brandywine Cowlicks. In back are some Black Krim. To the right are a few German Red Strawberry, Cherokee Purple and JD Special C Tex.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #2
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I had the same problem last year. I made tomato sauce for the first time, then the second time and you guessed it. My son can not wait to have his favorite meatballs with home made sauce. I do not add anything to that sauce, tomatoes do the trick. I do not cook it for 2 hours neither, just 35 minutes and it is the best you ever had.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #3
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Scott, I have a great idea ! Your DW gets her counter space back and I, being only a short drive away, help free up her counter !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #4
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Scott, I have a great idea ! Your DW gets her counter space back and I, being only a short drive away, help free up her counter !
Don't know if the DW would approve of me sharing my heirlooms with another woman. This is my biggest so far. A heart shaped doubleblossom. 1lb 11.5oz.

Brandywine 1lb 11oz.jpg
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #5
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I had the same problem last year. I made tomato sauce for the first time, then the second time and you guessed it. My son can not wait to have his favorite meatballs with home made sauce. I do not add anything to that sauce, tomatoes do the trick. I do not cook it for 2 hours neither, just 35 minutes and it is the best you ever had.
Ella,

Alittle more explanation on the sauce please. When you say you do not add anything to the sauce do you really mean nothing? No salt, pepper, oregano, basil, onions, peppers ect?

Glenn

Last edited by COMPOSTER; August 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #6
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPOSTER View Post
Ella,

Alittle more explanation on the sauce please. When you say you do not add anything to the sauce do you really mean nothing? No salt, pepper, oregano, basil, onions, peppers ect?

Glenn
Salt only. I mixed Ananas Noir/Black Pineapple with what ever else was in abundance. Trying to put together sweet and acidic to my taste. Half was pureed and other half cut into small pieces. I cleared tomatoes from seeds and gel prior to that. Ananas Noir has that unforgettable smell when cooked.

Old August 1, 2013   #7
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Scott, your DW should get the heart shaped one !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #8
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Salt only. I mixed Ananas Noir/Black Pineapple with what ever else was in abundance. Trying to put together sweet and acidic to my taste. Half was pureed and other half cut into small pieces. I cleared tomatoes from seeds and gel prior to that. Ananas Noir has that unforgettable smell when cooked.
Thanks Ella. Never made my own sauce before. You make it sound so simple and delicious. Going to take the plunge and try your way.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #9
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Do not take my word for it, every one does it differently. There is a threat called "Lets talk sauce!" Read that one for some more inspiration. Good luck with sauce.

Old August 2, 2013   #10
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

I used the method in this thread to make sauce this year. Way easier than other methods I had tried.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote