Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 19, 2016   #16
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Have never used much fertilizer, but LOTS of compost. They WERE planted last fall, on October 27th (I keep a gardening journal). I don't believe I harvested early, I am in zone 6a and die back had already started. Several leaves on each plant. This year I will buy more seed bulbs and only plant the largest cloves. I do not water my tomatoes much either, especially once fruit starts forming, I never have, because when I do, I have an increase in cracking. But I assume because of the high organic matter and thick mulch, about 4", I hardly ever see any wilting. The dirt was quite moist on the bulbs when I took them up. I do not know if there are as many cloves or not. I have not opened a bulb to check. It looks like they are just smaller cloves because the small bulbs also have small cloves, does not look just 3 or 4 large cloves. Not sure which you meant is caused by not enough cold. We have had lots of days in the 90s, so maybe that contributed, too, but that is not unusual for the time of year.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote