Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 20, 2012   #46
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

wow.... I've still not gotten any as the company I found keeps telling me oh the delivery will be in next week, and so it goes, if there was another company that was close I would switch, but I've come to decide that should it not be in next week for me to pick up, then I'm going with my regular seed starter soil.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2012   #47
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeplanter View Post
Do you guys find that smaller seeds get lost under such large particles?
No, not at all. I guess you have to work with DE first to get the feel of it. Even though there are large particles, there are small one's too. It's really no different than working with a regular seed starting mix. Your seeds won't get lost, they stay where you put them.

Let me get this straight, you are planning on using a food grade DE for seed starting? That is extremely finely powered, I haven't tried that. I don't know how that would work. I use it for insect control so know how dusty it is but it sounds to me that it would be difficult to work with compared to a granular DE.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2012   #48
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to shift out the finer parts, as he said he could get it not in complete powder, maybe that is why it is taking so long for it to come in.....

My main reason for it is for pest control fleas on my collies and in the yard, then to use for seeds, so we will see if it is too fine and turns to concrete.....

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old July 21, 2012   #49
RayR
Tomatovillian™

If it's "not in complete powder", what is it?. Do you know where it comes from and the intended purpose of the product?
Old July 21, 2012   #50
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

it is food grade as they use it around their horse farm, even giving it to the horses, but mostly they use it in the manure to keep the flies down.

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old July 28, 2012   #51
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

OK finally, finally got my DE today, so I'm a happy camper.

Starting tomorrow with seeds, hurrayyyyyyy I'm so excited..... Plus got lots of aged horse manure as well. Hard to think of life getting any better...LOL

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old August 1, 2012   #52
jacksson
Tomatovillian™

I just ran into this DE subject and am very interested in trying it. Being new in starting seeds for container gardening, I planted some seeds in Jiffy Mix over a week ago and there is no sign of plant life. I planted some Astia Zucchini seeds a week ago in my basic soil mixture for pots and they are already two inches tall. Thanks to all of you for the information regarding DE. I have some food grade DE available and will try that rather than JM in my next seeding. Not seeding right now, temperature outside was 107 a few hours ago; ice tea time.
jacksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2012   #53
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

jacksson, it is always sweet ice tea time here....LOL We have gone almost a week without rain,,, and that makes for hot that is rather uncomfortable..... but hopefully we will get some rain this weekend due to TD storm that is coming from the south, what would be good is if the storm could move inland to all the midwest areas that are in need of rain, even if the rain would be too late in the season.

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old August 4, 2012   #54
jacksson
Tomatovillian™

Default Rain? What is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowyck View Post
jacksson, it is always sweet ice tea time here....LOL We have gone almost a week without rain,,, and that makes for hot that is rather uncomfortable..... but hopefully we will get some rain this weekend due to TD storm that is coming from the south, what would be good is if the storm could move inland to all the midwest areas that are in need of rain, even if the rain would be too late in the season.
We haven't had any rain worth mentioning for over a month, maybe two. But, that is more or less normal in sunny California. But, I am drinking Chai tea.
jacksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2012   #55
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

jacksson I love your avatar, that owl is beautiful.

Well still now rain it stayed to the north of us, maybe tomorrow.

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old August 7, 2012   #56
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I am heading to Auto Zone today and see if they have it here. I have been having a terrible time with damping off due to the high humidity in my greenhouse. I haven't found a product that will maintain a dry surface to prevent damping off during times when our humidity levels are near 100% and that has been most days lately.

Ray does the surface stay dry enough to prevent damping off? Is dust a problem since I will be working with it in a greenhouse? Do you have to keep bottom water available all the time of do you just water them every few days that way?

Ray I am really excited about this. It may be the solution to my damping off problems. The last few bags of Jiffy and MG seed starting mediums I bought had mold inside the bags when I opened them. Quality control seems to be a big problem with most of the products I have tried with one bag being great and then the next one will be lacking in some way. I am also going to try coconut coir and may do a comparison.

Thanks for posting this information.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2012   #57
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I haven't had any damping off problems with DE. I've seen a number of references about professional growers who use silicate minerals, mainly coarse sand or crushed granite (bird grit) as a top layer over a seed starting medium to prevent damping off. I've done this myself with great results, the only times I've had any damping off problems was when I was using seed starting mix alone. I've seen a recommendation from a hydroponics grower to use DE as a top layer over seed starting medium for the same reason. I don't know if the effectiveness is due to a dryer surface or if the mineral layer is just inhospitable to the growth of damping off pathogens, maybe both, I don't know for sure, but it seems to work well.

There is some fine dust even with the granular DE, but not bad and only when first pouring it out of the bag. Misting it good with water will eliminate any dust kick up when filling your cells.

I judge the bottom watering by the color of the top surface, when the DE is getting dry it appears very white, when it is moist it turns darker and the earth tones come out.

It'll be interesting to hear your results.
Old August 7, 2012   #58
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to give it a try if they have it at the local Auto Zone. Thanks again.
Old August 11, 2012   #59
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I'm still on board to do this but with the visit of family I've just not had time to start, will be though coming monday night after they fly home...LOL I love family but I also love the down time....LOL

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old August 12, 2012   #60
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I got the last bag at my local Auto Zone and they won't be getting any more for a week or so. I'll try it with some fall seeds and they are all small so I will get to see how it works on those tiny seed.