Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 24, 2018   #1
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Default Strange new growth on my first habanero

I have a habanero seedling that had some pretty awful looking leaves from what I believe to be some sort of mite. I ended up cutting off all the leaves and seeing if it would make it and over the last week or so it has put on a lot of new growth. Something looks really strange about the new leaves, but I've never grown a habanero so I have no basis for comparison. Is it a sign of nutrient deficiency or maybe a virus? The leaves are strange but very lush and green. It's been incredibly hot for the last month and we've had about 5" of rain dumped on us this week after zero rain for months. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3411.jpg (707.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3412.jpg (388.6 KB, 56 views)
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #2
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

This is quoted from the link .

"Calcium is important for cell division and its deficiency is characterised by distorted new growth and weakened stems. New leaves have a twisted, bubbled appearance and edges can become necrotic. Old growth is not affected as calcium is the least mobile of elements. If calcium is deficient during fruiting, plants may develop Blossom End Rot, with sunken, necrotic patches developing at the blossom end of pods.

An application of CalMag (Calcium Magnesium feed) can help but it would be unusual for there not to be sufficient Calcium in garden compost, it is more commonly a problem of nutrient lockout. Excessive nitrogen and/or potassium hinders the plants ability to take on calcium, so check you are not feeding excessively.

Calcium deficiency can also be the result of low transpiration. If your pots are continually dry, this could be contributing to the problem and you should alter your watering regime."

This is a good site to bookmark, it makes it easy to figure out problems.

https://www.worldofchillies.com/grow...ientguide.html

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; May 25, 2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: To add: Calcium Nitrate and Bonemeal will fix that problem. Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets are heavy calcium feeders.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #3
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I figured it would be a nutrient deficiency. Trouble is I mixed several cups of dolomitic lime into the promix before I planted that bucket. Also fertilized it with tomato-tone which has calcium in it as well. I wonder if my pH is off and it's affecting transport of nutrients?
Old May 25, 2018   #4
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

The PH could be off or the 5" of rain washed all the nutes out of the bucket. I'd fertilize again and see if it helps especially since it's gonna rain all weekend from this thing in the Gulf.
Old May 25, 2018   #5
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I'll give it a shot, that's highly possible. We're supposed to get 4-5" more this weekend from the dirty side of that tropical system. You guys gunna be alright up there?