Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 1, 2010   #16
mmcd75
Tomatovillian™

I purchased some seeds on ebay and when they arrived I was surprised that they were from tomatobob. I don't rememeber the ebay user name but I know it was not tomato bob.
mmcd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2010   #17
bohica
Tomatovillian™

This is a shame, I really hope that it isnt the Tomatobob people, I've gotten really comfortable with purchasing from them.
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2010   #18
mmcd75
Tomatovillian™

I just received an order I placed with them last week (before I found this thread) and it arrived in less than a week, so maybe they are back on track. As for the seeds I received from Ebay, I am pretty sure they were sold to me by Tomato Bob.
Old May 24, 2011   #19
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Anyone know how to get a response from these guys? I ordered April 29 for live plants (didn't have time to start them myself). There was nothing on the website noting shipping delays, so I thought they'd be going out fairly quickly. Still nothing, almost a month later (and I'm in zone 9b, so they could have gone out right away well before I ordered.) I have been emailing and leaving voicemails, but have not received any response. Their voicemail is now full. I'm going on vacation shortly, and don't want these plants arriving and dying while I'm gone, but I don't seem to have any effective way to reach them.
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011   #20
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirl View Post
Anyone know how to get a response from these guys? I ordered April 29 for live plants (didn't have time to start them myself). There was nothing on the website noting shipping delays, so I thought they'd be going out fairly quickly. Still nothing, almost a month later (and I'm in zone 9b, so they could have gone out right away well before I ordered.) I have been emailing and leaving voicemails, but have not received any response. Their voicemail is now full. I'm going on vacation shortly, and don't want these plants arriving and dying while I'm gone, but I don't seem to have any effective way to reach them.
Unfortunately, I think you are out of luck. I check the Garden Watchdog over on Dave's Garden Regularly. They have a very hit or miss string of reviews. If you check back through the reviews, you'll also see they tried to write good reviews themselves posing as customers, but have been caught doing it. So I wonder if some of the other positive reviews are not real.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2623/
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #21
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Yes, in the future always see and heed Dave's Garden Watchdog before ordering, but he (Bob) does have another website and there is a contact us:
https://www.sevenacreseeds.com/contactus.sc
If all else fails I know a member of the UCCE Palo Alto Master Gardeners I could get in touch with to get you some plants. PM me if needed for that info. -Randy
Old May 30, 2011   #22
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmran1 View Post
Yes, in the future always see and heed Dave's Garden Watchdog before ordering, but he (Bob) does have another website and there is a contact us:
https://www.sevenacreseeds.com/contactus.sc
If all else fails I know a member of the UCCE Palo Alto Master Gardeners I could get in touch with to get you some plants. PM me if needed for that info. -Randy
Thanks, Randy. My garden is actually at the community garden where the UCCE demonstration garden is located. I was going to buy a few plants at their sale a while back, but was being harassed by a bee that landed on my face and stung me, unprovoked! I don't really *need* the plants from Sevenacre. They just had a nice selection of oxhearts, which are hard to find in our area otherwise. I have about 14 other plants started already, and every year I swear I'm not growing more than 10. It's just annoying to have ordered and never heard a thing over a month later.
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2011   #23
muck4doo
Tomatovillian™

Growing some of his seeds this year(bought last year). Can't complain. Order shipped quick, and he threw in some extras(not just tomatoes) I had no intention of growing, except the Ferris Wheels which turned out awesome. But it was a nice gesture. As far as I know everything grew true with a minor exception. I gave away a lot of plants, and kept others for myself. My Black Krim is producing fruit that look like a cross between BK and some cherry type. The BKs I gave away however all look like BK should. Guess I just got unlucky with the plant I kept. I haven't purchased anything from him in 2011, so I couldn't say how he's doing recently. My two cents.
muck4doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2011   #24
tokizy
Tomatovillian™

FWIW, I bought my 2011 seeds from Tomatobob.com Fast Shipment, Good product, labelling etc... The only plants that didnt sprout were ACE55 (I think).

I vouch for them.
tokizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2011   #25
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Bob solicited me for a very large trade a couple of years back. He picked about 30 of my rarest seeds. These were seeds I paid a lot of money for..they were not collected from my garden. His end of the trade arrived with only half of what was promised, with a note promising to send as soon as he had available. I hate that, people should tell you when you arrange the trade if they don't have the seed you pick. I felt "hijacked" for lack of a better description. Truth be told...this is theft, is it not? Since then..nothing. Numerous follow up attempts were made over many many months. A "respresentative" from his company responded once to me saying they'd promise to get the seeds they owed me in the mail...they never did and ignored my emails ever since. To me, that experience was enough for me not to do business with them period. To me..integrity is everything when dealing with a company.

I really appreciate the t-ville members posting other seed sites that tomatobob is selling under. I will boycott those too.

Last edited by hmacdona; November 11, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2011   #26
tokizy
Tomatovillian™

@hmacdona: Sorry to hear of the bad deal. Since Im a 2nd year grower, I needed a jump start in my collection and bought seeds from him. The transaction went as expected. Since I am not a large trader or purchaser I would not know.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. That deal you describe is a rawdeal on Bobs part. Bad Business.
Old November 11, 2011   #27
mmcd75
Tomatovillian™

I placed another lagre purchase from Tomato Bob last month, I received in within a week and everything was included. I really like their monthly specials they have, it allows me to pick up extra seeds for the future.
Old November 11, 2011   #28
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I know nothing of Tomato Bob, but I have seen other mail order shops go through ups and downs. Business go through many phases just like people, and sometimes bad employees slip in as well. Caution is always good, but best not to place a forever judgement on a short term performance. If we did, likely no companies would survive.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2012   #29
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Last year I bought stupice seed from Bob's. Plants turned out to be regular leaf, and 6-7 feet tall, definately not stupice. I sent them a friendly e-mail asking for replacement seeds. No reply after six months. Which is fine, there are many other vendors that actually care about their customer base.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote