Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 4, 2011   #46
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I have purchased seeds from Johnny's on multiple occasions - the most recent of which was 4 days ago. Order placed 11/29/2011 - and I already got the seeds, despite the fact that they're in Maine and I'm in Arizona.

I call that gosh darnoodley good service.. 4 days including filling the order, packing and transit time.

Every order I have gotten through them has been great.
Old December 5, 2011   #47
LuvsToPlant
Tomatovillian™

grEaT !! I have been doing buisness with them for over 30 years...same service everytime.

I often go down the road to visit the farm...very well organized.
LuvsToPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2011   #48
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsToPlant View Post
grEaT !! I have been doing buisness with them for over 30 years...same service everytime.

I often go down the road to visit the farm...very well organized.
Same here for overr 30 years. I first found out about Rob when I was working in Denver and had this itch to deal with folks back where I'd come from, so ordered seeds from Johnny's, ordered balsm wreaths and candles from the Vermont Country Store, well, you get the picture.

I can't remember how I first got to know Rob, but it was about the same time, I think, that Craig L did. Craig sent Ithink Cherokee Purple to Rob, or maybe it was Brandywine ( Sudduth) or maybe both.I do rememeber that Rob asked if I had any Aunt Ruby's German Green Seeds and I said I had a couple thousand but I knew they were crossed. He said no matter b'c they would rogue out the wrong ones. For many years I sent tomato seeds for trial and some that I sent were then offered. And then I got to know Janika as well.

I also met several of the Johnny's folks when I was at the NE Vegetable Conference when it was at Sturbridge Village.

Seeds have always been of excellent quality and high germination and I'm so very glad that Rob's company has grown and fouished over the years. I think the last item I sent was Joe's Long, a great hot pepper which is still listed, which I got from Joe Sesito who hung around the greenhouses of my commercial friend Charlie when I was there doing my transplanting, etc.

Joe's Round I sent to Jeff McCormack when he owned Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and I was just sent a copy of the SESE catalog b'c I had pointed out in the Spring that they'd changed the name of the variety, and now it's back to what it should be. I think the SSE catalog/website now lists both.

The only blip I can remember is when the security of their data base was hacked and plastic card numbers compromised, but as I recall that was solved rather quickly and I have no idea what the consequences were. Does anyone else remember that incident?
Old December 5, 2011   #49
LuvsToPlant
Tomatovillian™

Hey Carolyn...do me a favor
...see if you can found out if a Tim Davis worked at Johnny's supposedly for 8 yrs.
sometime in the last 15-20 years or so.
Old December 5, 2011   #50
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey Carolyn...do me a favor
...see if you can found out if a Tim Davis worked at Johnny's supposedly for 8 yrs.
sometime in the last 15-20 years or so.
Luvs, since I wouldn't call and ask to be transferred to either Rob or Janika, the only two there that I do know now, there have been some changes in the seed trial managers of late , I think you could do the same as I would do and that's to call the main number, explain your question and ask to be transferred to someone who can answer it.

Please let us know if you did get an answer.
Old December 6, 2011   #51
LuvsToPlant
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a plan...
Do youknow if Janika ever started her Masters at ISU?
Old December 6, 2011   #52
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Same here for overr 30 years. I first found out about Rob when I was working in Denver and had this itch to deal with folks back where I'd come from, so ordered seeds from Johnny's, ordered balsm wreaths and candles from the Vermont Country Store, well, you get the picture.

I can't remember how I first got to know Rob, but it was about the same time, I think, that Craig L did. Craig sent Ithink Cherokee Purple to Rob, or maybe it was Brandywine ( Sudduth) or maybe both.I do rememeber that Rob asked if I had any Aunt Ruby's German Green Seeds and I said I had a couple thousand but I knew they were crossed. He said no matter b'c they would rogue out the wrong ones. For many years I sent tomato seeds for trial and some that I sent were then offered. And then I got to know Janika as well.

I also met several of the Johnny's folks when I was at the NE Vegetable Conference when it was at Sturbridge Village.

Seeds have always been of excellent quality and high germination and I'm so very glad that Rob's company has grown and fouished over the years. I think the last item I sent was Joe's Long, a great hot pepper which is still listed, which I got from Joe Sesito who hung around the greenhouses of my commercial friend Charlie when I was there doing my transplanting, etc.

Joe's Round I sent to Jeff McCormack when he owned Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and I was just sent a copy of the SESE catalog b'c I had pointed out in the Spring that they'd changed the name of the variety, and now it's back to what it should be. I think the SSE catalog/website now lists both.

The only blip I can remember is when the security of their data base was hacked and plastic card numbers compromised, but as I recall that was solved rather quickly and I have no idea what the consequences were. Does anyone else remember that incident?
Yes, I remember they sent me a letter.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2011   #53
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sounds like a plan...
Do youknow if Janika ever started her Masters at ISU?
Sorry, but I don't know that. I think the last time we talked was several years ago about the Joe's Long hot pepper that they had IDed as being a cayenne.

It's hard to remember but I think she asked me about the background so they could write the blurb.
Old December 7, 2011   #54
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I ordered on Sunday and received order today Wed. Got everything except the
indigo rose. Backordered, I should get the seeds end of January. They always
send me seeds very quickly.
Old December 12, 2011   #55
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Ordered some cucumber, pepper and lettuce seeds yesterday.

Shipping is a bit too high for Canada - over $12, so it is only worth it if the order is large. Otherwise I would not have ordered... Makes me wonder if Tatiana's TOMATObase shipping charges are too low!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #56
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post

Shipping is a bit too high for Canada - over $12, so it is only worth it if the order is large. Otherwise I would not have ordered... Makes me wonder if Tatiana's TOMATObase shipping charges are too low!
And I ordered some onions, zucchini, carrots, shell peas and a cantaloupe...sounds like we're on the same mission these days, Tania! The shipping seems a bit high even in the states- 25% of the order, but the costs of labor, materials, etc. have to be considered in addition to the postage.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #57
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I love Johnny's but, I can't tell you how many times I've placed items in my cart, then abandoned the order simply because of the shipping charges. Territorial is the same way - though I've had issues with their germination rates as well, but that's getting off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post

fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #58
travis
Tomatovillian™

I disagree, and think Johnny's shipping cost is moderate and lower than many others. I ordered middle of last week, and got seeds today. Shipping was only $4.00, while shipping costs from other companies I have and will order from this year range from $5 - $10.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #59
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Tatiana and Kath? Did you try the free shipping code? I don't know if it's any good for shipping to Canada, but it worked for me..

I bought 10 different varieties of seed, including Okra, Corn, Cucumber, Tomato, and spinach, and shipping was totally free with the coupon code: 12-1005. Would have been somewhere around $6 or $7 I think, I had I not found the code
Old December 12, 2011   #60
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I agree their shipping is a little on the high side. Unlike fortyonenorth, I get very good
germination from their seed.