Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 7, 2008   #1
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Default styrofoam cup size

If I start seeds in a styrofoam cup for planting in 6-8 weeks; does it matter a lot or make any difference whether I use an 8oz size or 24 oz size? I am referring to affecting the quality of the seedling and the root system; the smaller size would, of course, use less potting medium and take up less space.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2008   #2
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I would use the 8oz. Next year I will do that than buying all those 3" peat pots. They dry out to fast for me anyway.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2008   #3
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

We start all the seeds in homemade paper pots. When it comes time to transplant, we transplant to 12 oz styrofoam cups. I'm sure you could use 16 oz, but going bigger, I think would be a waste.

This is not a commercial, but if you have a GFS Marketplace in your area, go there for styrofoam cups. 25, 12 oz cups are 79 cents. I bought some yesterday.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2008   #4
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

In my original post I should have said 16oz, not 24oz(there are 24 of them in the package)
Old March 8, 2008   #5
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

You could use the 8 oz for seeds starting, but probably overkill. I saw 4 oz stryo cups at GFS, 50 for $1.49.

I'd go with the 12 oz for transplanting and maybe have some 16 oz on hand in case you have to transplant again before planting out. I'd bet the volume of a 4" square pot will be pretty close to a 12 oz cup.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2008   #6
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Not sure what GFS is but we dont have one; her I get them at Dollar General; $! for 24 of the 16 oz or 72 of the 8oz.
Old March 8, 2008   #7
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I would start in 8 oz. or smaller cups and pot up to a larger size if you have to keep them for a time before planting out. Some people grow their seedlings very large in small pots, purposely letting them get root bound. I pot up to 16 oz. cups and am happy with the results.

I like plastic cups (e.g. Solo brand types with the thin plastic walls) better than Styrofoam cups because my sense is the plastic cups are a little steadier on their feet and don't tip over as easily. Maybe it's the ridge on the bottom of the Styrofoam cups. The Solo cups are flat on the bottom.

P.S. GFS is Gordon Food Service.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2008   #8
pbud
Tomatovillian™

I start them in recycled yo baby yogurt containers, which I think are 4 oz. I usually draw a line down the outside dividing the container in half and plant five seeds (two varieties) in each half. They grow to potting up size quickly and then you can pot up to 8 or 12oz with good results. No need to use all of that seed starting mix in 8 oz cups just to start seeds. Check out NC tomato man's seed starting style - very densely planted in flats - and you won't worry about starting in 8 oz or preferably smaller cups.
Paul
pbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2008   #9
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Last year I used the 16 ounce styrofoam cups (pic below) and had good luck with them. I used Jiffy Pellets to start the seed and once the plant got its first set of true leaves, then it was put into the cups.

This year I purchased 16 ounce plastic cups...was at the store a few weeks ago and they had them on sale--half off--so I purched about six dozen.

I find that the larger cup size allows for better root development and the plants tend to start off better once planted in the ground.

Old March 10, 2008   #10
Melissa
Tomatovillian™

I used the 16 oz solo cups for years--purchased at Sams Club for cheap. This year went to peat pots.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2008   #11
DonnaK-NC
Tomatovillian™

Last year I started the seeds in peat pellets and then transfered them to some 8 oz plastic solo cups and they worked fine! This year, doing the dense planting method and I'm trying 12 oz styrofoam, well....just because....lol. I get bored and like to mix things up sometimes. lol
DonnaK-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2008   #12
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I like to pot up, and not start in a big cup. I have a plastic germination tray with about 20 rows to start the seeds.

Then they get yanked out and transplanted into 6 paks, 8 to a tray. At about 6 weeks old, the most vigorous plants are potted up to 20 oz. Solo cups until planting out.

I love the Solos with their well tapered shape which encourages the roots to grow downward. Also, the thin plastic will heat up and dry out quickly.

Styrofoam insulates too well in comparison, and I have had a few problems with soil staying cold and wet at times.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2008   #13
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I used the 16 ounce Solo cups last year along with some styrofoam. (Larger sizes of those were impossible to find locally.) Both of them tended to hold excess water, even with several holes poked in the bottom. I finally fixed the matter by cutting triangular wedges in several places where the side joined the bottom.

Either way, I found them to be pretty expensive for several hundred plants, so this year I ordered greenhouse flats in several sizes from Novosel Manufacturing.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2008   #14
creister
Tomatovillian™

Peat pots will wick moisture away, so keep on eye on the watering. Also, if you plant them in the garden, cut out the bottom and make real sure that the entire pot is buried beneath the soil. If the top of the pot is above the soil, it will only wick away moisture back into the air. I have quit using peat pots for this reason.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2008   #15
Melissa
Tomatovillian™

thanks for that info creister
This is my first year exclusively using the peat pots,so that is good to know. When I've bought things in peat pots from nurseries, I normally just tear off the bottom of the pots anyway, but glad to hear I've been doing the right thing.

Have you had any experience with the cow pie pots? I was thinking of trialing some of them against the peat pots to see which I liked better, or if I'd just go back to the solo cups next season.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote