Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 10, 2016   #151
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
You had sent me some of these seeds a couple of years ago - thanks again. The only source of information I could find online was from an outfit in Quebec, and they were listing it with a very long DTM, too long for my Zone 3a. When does ripening occur for you, relative to Stupice? tia
Yes I got the seed from Solana in Quebec.
What is strange, is that it seems to have gotten much earlier since I first grew it here.
In my data sheet for 2013, OJPL was 12 days later to ripen than Stupice and 10 days later than Pervaya Lyubov, which is similar size (slicer).
In 2014, it was only six days later than Moravsky Div and 3 days later than P. Lyubov.
Growing again this year OJPL flowered at 42 days cw 57 days in 2014 and 67 days in 2013. This year it was growing fruit at 67 days.
Lindalana commented yesterday they were early for her too, first ripe.
Tormato also mentioned last year that they flowered very early.
Just possibly it is one of those rare varieties that passes on memory of the environment to its seeds, if so it has been duly primed for earliness here.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #152
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I do not have accurate information when individual plants began to bloom. But according to photos I know that already bloomed:
April 28, 2016 ... Stupice (SEMO), Jagodka, Sarayev Otbor 1 and Sarayev Shtamovyi.
May 8, 2016 ...... Sarayev I-2, M-22 Sarayev, Stupice (Moravoseed), 42 days, Darinka F1.
May 15, 2016 ... Sarayev Druzhnya, Sarayev Gruntovyi
May 25, 2016 ... Sarayev Stoikyi, Iceberg, Latah
Outside Latah, Sarayev Stoikiy, and Iceberg had all varieties ripen. Varieties matured gradually approximately in order of how bloomed
This year, I grow only two Stupices- one from seeds of SEMO and the second of Moravoseed (both without pruning as a bush).
Tomorrow morning I leave for five days to Northern Bohemia - wander through castles and chateaus.
As soon as I arrive I will compare the taste of all these tomatoes.
Vladimír
PS.: Hailstorm is the worst what can happen to us. It's me sorry, that it had happened you, Robert.
We forecast tomorrow cooled off, heavy rain and hails. I just hope that it avoids my garden as well as at least the last twenty years. It's only about luck.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #153
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Saraev collection and more

I had good luck with 0-33 last year so this year I tried the whole Saraev collection that I obtained from Tatiana. All but two or so produced many tomatoes, the two that produced the biggest fruit was Bassadnyi, and Otbor, ( I am sure I spelled both wrong) So far all of the fruits are pretty sweet, and one had a good tomato zing, and not so sweet. I think several will impress most people, they blow Stilez, Sophies Choice, silvery Fir Tree, many of those types, away, much better tomatoes.
The starts were put out June 1st or so, and produced ripe tomatoes in about 60 days, they are also true determinates and the final flowers have many tomatoes set, which means even in AK I should get ripe fruit from all of the plant. Many fruits are 10 OZ or so, again nice stuff for super early determinates. They also have had minimal fertilizer, MINIMAL, and they still do pretty good. If I were to tinker with these I could get massive production from them. Two thumbs up for a very early cold tolerant tomato, Thanks Tatiana.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1513.JPG (374.2 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1514.JPG (379.5 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1515.JPG (356.9 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1517.JPG (374.9 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1518.JPG (377.6 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1519.JPG (348.6 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1520.JPG (361.1 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by AKmark; August 3, 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: number wrong
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #154
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I had good luck with 0-33 last year so this year I tried the whole Saraev collection that I obtained from Tatiana. All but two or so produced many tomatoes, the two that produced the biggest fruit was Bassadnyi, and Otbor, ( I am sure I spelled both wrong) So far all of the fruits are pretty sweet, and one had a good tomato zing, and not so sweet. I think several will impress most people, they blow Stilez, Sophies Choice, silvery Fir Tree, many of those types, away, much better tomatoes.
The starts were put out June 1st or so, and produced ripe tomatoes in about 60 days, they are also true determinates and the final flowers have many tomatoes set, which means even in AK I should get ripe fruit from all of the plant. Many fruits are 10 OZ or so, again nice stuff for super early determinates. They also have had minimal fertilizer, MINIMAL, and they still do pretty good. If I were to tinker with these I could get massive production from them. Two thumbs up for a very early cold tolerant tomato, Thanks Tatiana.
So of the Saraev collection, which ones did you find sweeter than Sophie's Choice? Was it only Bassadnyi and Otbor?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #155
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the report Mark. This year I'm attempting to produce all throughout our punishing winter, so those two you mentioned will be given a shot. Compact bushes work great on my tubes.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2016   #156
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

So far only one was mushy, the rest rest are pretty good. I will be able to comment more as I taste fruit over the next few weeks. I think what impresses me the most is I have not put much effort into these plants, and they are loaded and taste good. The selections I mentioned beat Sasha's Altai in fruit size and production, and I like SA for a early determinate.
Old August 10, 2016   #157
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I know Alaska only from books of Jack London. I never thought that anyone can grow tomatoes there outdoors.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: gif up.gif (40.9 KB, 289 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2016   #158
nhardy
Tomatovillian™

How tall are the Saraev varieties on average?

How many weeks before your normal frost free date did you plant them?
nhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2016   #159
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I start them after April 15th for a late May garden planting, May 25th or later on average. They are between two and three feet tall, and two- three feet wide.
I will write down the names of the good ones, some are really sweet tomatoes, and the texture is pretty good too, especially since we have had a lot of rain lately. I would say 4-5 of them are early, good, and productive, others are okay. I tried them again and they even seemed sweeter, and one has a full nice tomato flavor.
Old August 11, 2016   #160
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I had good luck with 0-33 last year so this year
Are you Zone 4a up there?
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2016   #161
nhardy
Tomatovillian™

I so look forward to your report card!!
Old August 11, 2016   #162
nhardy
Tomatovillian™

Here is what I found for frost free dates with Wasilla - zip code 99629. Then put in your zip code to compare. I use of all thing this link.

http://www.almanac.com/gardening/pla.../zipcode/99629

The dates Mark said matches up. Sad thing is according to this, I'm planting almost 2 weeks late now. Go figure, global warming I guess.
Old August 11, 2016   #163
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

We are in zone 3-4, every now and then we get a harsh winter which will kill some zone 4 perennials, it is rare though. We also have many micro climates right here in the Matanuska Valley, we have mountains on three sides and some places have large hills too, cold frigid air settles in the valleys during winter. We can see a 15-20 degree temperature change in areas just a few miles from each other.
It used to get much colder -40's was felt most winters for a short period of time, then -30's, now we seem to only get -20's. I didn't say that out loud Summers bring us several 70-80 degree days, lately they have been very nice, in the 1980's they were usually rainy with a handful of days in the 70's
Tomatoes outside are tough anywhere in AK though, when it rains it is usually cold and miserable, tomatoes hate that.
Old August 11, 2016   #164
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Bassadnyi=Bezrassadnyi.
And the actual variety name of Bezrassadnyi is Gruntovyi-1. This is the original name of this variety given by Soviet|Russian breeder Pavel Saraev. When he sent its seeds to other gardeners he used to mark it with only one extra descrition word "bezrassadnyi" which means "direct seeded" in Russian.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2016   #165
nhardy
Tomatovillian™

That is way too funny!