Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2013   #1
phonewoman59
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone ever grown a tomatoe plant that did not produce ?

Has anyone ever grown any tomatoe plant that did not produce any tomatoes ? Im talking about budding and then nothing no flower no nothing ? Im really sick that it takes all this time and then nothing wow so dissapointed .
phonewoman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonewoman59 View Post
Has anyone ever grown any tomatoe plant that did not produce any tomatoes ? Im talking about budding and then nothing no flower no nothing ? Im really sick that it takes all this time and then nothing wow so dissapointed .
Of course. More than once. But I never went through a season, no matter how bad, that I didn't get at least some tomatoes off one of the plants. Chin up. There is a lot of the growing season still left. There is still plenty of time to get your delicious home grown tomato.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonewoman59 View Post
Yes, they are called mule plants, not all that common, and result from a mutation in either the pollen or the female organs such as the stigma, or similar.

Carolyn
Old June 23, 2013   #4
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I had a Caspian Pink plant years ago that produced buds but that was it. I never saw a single fruit.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #5
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

I just had to pull my Hillbilly due to too few flowers. It was ovet 10 ft tall, too. And the buds it did produce sometimes had no petals or very underdeveloped petals. Apparently other people have a similar experience with Hillbilly.
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I just pulled a mule NAR plants about ten days ago. I started seedlings for my SIL this spring and she had one, too. Stinks, doesn't it? You keep hoping something will happen and then nothing. I had a smaller plant to put in its place but of course it's way behind in size.
Old June 23, 2013   #7
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

High Nitrogen and low Phosphate can sometimes be the cause. You could try pruning and adding some super Phosphate.
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #8
phonewoman59
Tomatovillian™

i just went ahead and pulled it and starting all over again since I grow my maters inside under grow lights and hopefully the next bunch will do better and thank you all for letting me know it was just not me ....
phonewoman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I usually have one or two every year that act like that and sometimes it will be one of the better producing varieties. This year it was Akers West Virginia.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #10
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I have had two Mr. Stripeys, over the years, that have been like that.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #11
frankbenjones
Tomatovillian™

I had several plants do this last year. Some got very tall, most looked green and healthy and had flowers but little or no fruit and the fruit that did set often had BER. This year I got a soild test and my PH was high. This year the same beds are producing alot of fruit. I can't say for sure that it was the ph but I suspect it was. My soil tests showed that I wasn't lacking in any nutrients either so all I did was added the sulfer and didn't even add any fertilizer. Plants upto 8 feet tall with tons of fruit.
frankbenjones is offline   Reply With Quote