Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 28, 2012   #1
Algyros
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes in Texas

I would love to hear about members' experiences with growing tomatoes in hot climates such as Texas.

This year, I plan to try the following: Anahu, Homestead 24, Marianna's Peace, Costoluto Genovese, and Blush.

I'd appreciate comments on these tomaotes and others that have proven to grow well and taste good in very hot climates.
Algyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #2
armac
Tomatovillian™

I am growing romas is Edinburg right now.....real productive.
armac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I think if you search for Suze's, Worth's and Feldon's posts along with other Texas growers, you will get some information.
Old December 28, 2012   #4
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Algyros........I live in Hutto TX just up the road from you, I don't have any experience with the varieties you mentioned, but I have had success with the following varieties: Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, Big Beef, Amish Paste, Rutgers, Brandywine Sudduth, Sungold, and San Marzano. Of the ones listed Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, and Amish Paste were my favs. Brandywine Sudduth produced a delicious tomato, but not many of them. I saved lots of Indian Stripe seeds, if you want I will give you some.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Algyros! I'll let you know next year. I am trying many new varieties this year just to see what works best in our heat.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #6
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

Welcome! Blush does very well for me in South Florida. The first 8-10 tomatoes on each plant were only good for seed (quite sour with a mealy texture), but the flavor, sweetness, and texture improved tremendously and it turned into one of my favorites later in the season. It's also fairly early in my climate. This season it was 64 days to maturity and 96 days from seed for me.

Last edited by horses4jess; December 28, 2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling
horses4jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #7
tedln

The only tomato you listed that I have grown is Homestead 24. It was a great tomato on a very small vine. I really appreciate the small vines because they allow room for more varieties to be planted. It had very heavy foliage which protected the tomatoes from the hot, hot sun. It was almost a bush tomato wanting to remain close to the ground instead of growing rapidly up a trellis as many varieties do.

Most of the "black" varieties have done well for me in the heat. Black Krim has probably been the best from early season to late season. It has a great taste, but it does not store well. I've found it needs to be consumed before it gets fully ripe or it will become soft quickly. J.D.'s Special C Tex has also been a great black variety producing through the heat of summer.JD's also seemed to retain a firm texture much longer than Black Krim while tasting great.

Blush has been mentioned a few times, but next year will be my first time to grow it and I am looking forward to the results. You need to be aware that it is an elongated grape type tomato up too two inches long with a yellow color and slight reddish highlights when ripe.

A few globe, or slightly flattened globe; shaped varieties in red and pink colors which have performed well in high heat for me have been Barlow Jap, Hoy, Stump Of The World, and Mortgage Lifter. You can add Fred Limbaughs Potato Top to that list, but it produced much later in the season for me.

The best heart shaped tomato for me has been Wes, producing a good supply of large hearts all summer long. The bonus for Wes is it also tastes good.

Prue was a good variety for me this year producing an abundance of tomatoes of various shapes on a very wispy vine.

The best variegated or multicolored tomato for me has been Hillbilly. It has had good production of very large, sweet to fruity tasting tomatoes. I liked it a lot and I normally don't like the sweeter tomatoes.

Our summer heat reached 110 degrees F. in August. You can improve the production of your tomato plants in that kind of heat by using shade cloth to protect them from the strong sunlight.

It also helps if you plant out as early as possible. For many years, I planted out around April 1. When I started planting out on March 1, it increased my production tremendously. You may need to be prepared to protect your plants from late frosts if you plant that early.

My intent for growing tomatoes in Texas is to grow and produce tomatoes from the last frost of spring to the first frost of fall. My earliest tomatoes are usually harvested in early May with the last being harvested in mid November. By harvesting some nice green tomatoes in the fall, we usually have ripe tomatoes until the new year.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; December 28, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old December 29, 2012   #8
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Algyros,

Glad you have become a member. The key thing on growing tomatoes in Texas is planting early. Blush has done very well for me as has Marianna's Peace. JD's Special has been excellent as has Dwarf Summertime Gold, Dwarf Mr. Snow, Big Beef, Brandy Boy and Orange Minsk. Almost all cherries do well. My season usually starts in late April and I am always done by the 4th of July.

MikeInCypress
Old December 29, 2012   #9
GnomeGrown
Tomatovillian™

Matt's Wild Cherry produces well for us every year.
Even this year despite setting a record at 113F.

GnomeGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #10
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

Hey Algyros! I'm just out of Austin and Blush did very well for me. Beautiful and delicious. Wonderful tomato.

Black Krim does well for me as well as Big Cheef, Pervaya Lyubov, KBX, Stump of the World, Rebel Yell and several cherries.

An early start...that's the key
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #11
coastal bend
Tomatovillian™

Is there a difference between Big Beef and Big Cheef I have planed on growing Big Beef this year instead of Celebrity .
coastal bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2012   #12
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Welcome aboard!

I am near Houston, little more humid than you are but I think Porter and Improved Porter will do well for you. Floridade is another. You can never go wrong with Better Boy and Celebrity.

I think you can get em in the ground there mid March. Summer is really tough, fall a little better.

Holler any time.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2012   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal bend View Post
Is there a difference between Big Beef and Big Cheef I have planed on growing Big Beef this year instead of Celebrity .
Big Cheef is a black tomato and open pollinated while Big Beef is a F1 hybrid red tomato.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2012   #14
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

I'm in San Antonio. Blush did well for me last year even though it was planted in a less than optimal location. I'm trying Big Cheef this year for the first time. The last time I tried Big Beef it was a bust. However, I was a beginning tomato grower and did lots of things wrong (I still do lots of things wrong, but I'm learning :-) ). Others here have given it thumbs up. I would believe what they say! My FIL will only grow Celebrity, so you can't go wrong there, either, if they've done well for you before. Good luck!

Last edited by checkerkitty; December 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2012   #15
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Costoluto Genovese did very well for me, but it was a mediocre tomato at best. Marianna's Peace did OK production wise, but was an excellent tomato.

For me, the tomatoes that did the best for me last year are Tome Sol, Goose Creek, Green Zebra, German Head, Hunt's Family Favorite (not the ketchup maker), Dino Eggs and Crnkovic Yugoslavian.

However, last year, one of my beds was a complete bust for some reason. Hitting with a shovel this winter makes me think that the soil got way too compacted and all the good stuff washed away as I didn't work it last year like I did my other bed.

SETTFest is going to be your best bet for information. You can read the threads here, but actually showing up is going to give you much more than reading about it. Also, you can collect all the seeds you could possibly want. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen until after the season so you it's not going to help you this year.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote