Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 24, 2015   #61
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Not set in stone but these are the varieties that I WANT to grow. Not included are a fair number of crosses (18) that are anywhere from F1 to F4

Dark

Arbruzzo Adeventure
Black Cherry
Black Krim
Daniel Burson
JD's Special C-Tex
Patio Song - dwarf, bucket
Terra-Cotta

Pink

Dora
Eiförmige Dauer
Greenbush Italian - heart
Grightmire's Pride - heart
Irish Pink
Isle of Capri
Koroleva
McMurray #10
Pink Floyd
Pink Gaetano
Pruden's Purple

Red

Daydream - det
Deutsher Fleiss
Homestead 24 - semi/det
Iva's Red Berry - cherry
Kalinka - bucket - det
MagiQo
Mary Italian - det
Solar Flare
Sweet Home
Tarasenko 6
Texwine

Yellow

Gelbe Dattlwein - cherry
Sirja's Love - cherry - basket
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015   #62
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
Not set in stone but these are the varieties that I WANT to grow. Not included are a fair number of crosses (18) that are anywhere from F1 to F4

Dark

Arbruzzo Adeventure
Black Cherry
Black Krim
Daniel Burson
JD's Special C-Tex
Patio Song - dwarf, bucket
Terra-Cotta

Pink

Dora
Eiförmige Dauer
Greenbush Italian - heart
Grightmire's Pride - heart
Irish Pink
Isle of Capri
Koroleva
McMurray #10
Pink Floyd
Pink Gaetano
Pruden's Purple

Red

Daydream - det
Deutsher Fleiss
Homestead 24 - semi/det
Iva's Red Berry - cherry
Kalinka - bucket - det
MagiQo
Mary Italian - det
Solar Flare
Sweet Home
Tarasenko 6
Texwine

Yellow

Gelbe Dattlwein - cherry
Sirja's Love - cherry - basket
Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 more for you to add.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015   #63
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

This question begs to be asked with me...do you folks who are growing 20-30 varieties all sell your tomatoes? I can barely manage 12-15 plants by myself. My friends all run from me when they see me carrying a plastic shopping bag! You guys are awesome!

Last edited by Ed of Somis; November 24, 2015 at 06:36 PM. Reason: additional thought
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015   #64
Strongheart
Tomatovillian™

I'm zone 10b so I grow 30+ tomatoes so I can see which grows best in the heat and have the best flavor (to my liking). Tomato overabundance usually not a problem since I bring to work and there are a lot of mouths to feed (and everyone loves home grown tomatoes).
Strongheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2015   #65
Growing West
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
This question begs to be asked with me...do you folks who are growing 20-30 varieties all sell your tomatoes? I can barely manage 12-15 plants by myself. My friends all run from me when they see me carrying a plastic shopping bag! You guys are awesome!
Admit it, those plastic shopping bags at least once contained zuchinnis. People never forget that.
Growing West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2015   #66
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

While I do sell a few I give away a lot of them. One of my friends is no longer able to garden so she gets several bags of them at a time. I also put up lots of juice, sauce etc.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2015   #67
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'll hopefully grow fewer plants once we find a few varieties with great taste and good yield here. Then again, I seem to keep finding new ones I'd like to try. I already have enough seeds to plant mostly new varieties for 4 or 5 years. So far a lot go to making sauce, and there wouldn't be any problem giving away a lot more. (Very few people grow garden tomatoes in Norway.)
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2015   #68
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growing West View Post
Admit it, those plastic shopping bags at least once contained zuchinnis. People never forget that.
You are a funny person...a funny funny person!
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2015   #69
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I'll hopefully grow fewer plants once we find a few varieties with great taste and good yield here. Then again, I seem to keep finding new ones I'd like to try. I already have enough seeds to plant mostly new varieties for 4 or 5 years. So far a lot go to making sauce, and there wouldn't be any problem giving away a lot more. (Very few people grow garden tomatoes in Norway.)
We are growing so many different varieties for the same reason - to find the ones we like best. This year, we grew a boatload of cherry tomato varieties. In 2016, we are going to grow as many different size ones we can. I have learned that we like most of the pink when ripe tomatoes we have grown so far.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2015   #70
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I grow about 30-32 plants each year, but about 18-20 are pastes I use for canning and drying.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2015   #71
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This question begs to be asked with me...do you folks who are growing 20-30 varieties all sell your tomatoes?
I'm a market vendor, so yes, I do. But my experimenting with new varieties every year inevitably costs me money, as many of them will be a waste of space. I'm finally getting to the point of having heirloom varieties that produce well enough to plant for market. I'd make the most money if I quit trying new tomatoes and just grow the few kinds that do the best. But I will still end up planting 100+ new varieties every spring, just so I can see what they do. Knowing exactly what will happen is boring to me. I want a tomato adventure.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2015   #72
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm a market vendor, so yes, I do. But my experimenting with new varieties every year inevitably costs me money, as many of them will be a waste of space. I'm finally getting to the point of having heirloom varieties that produce well enough to plant for market. I'd make the most money if I quit trying new tomatoes and just grow the few kinds that do the best. But I will still end up planting 100+ new varieties every spring, just so I can see what they do. Knowing exactly what will happen is boring to me. I want a tomato adventure.
Cole, you seem to be the guy that I should be following.

I am not a market grower but then I hate to waste time and space trying to find a few winners. That happens to be like 1 out of 3 or 4 that I try. This year I am trying about 11 new ones. So by statistics I should end up with 3 o4 winners..This is even though that I do exhaustive search, reading so many reviews and comments. I stay away from the varieties with little peers review, no matter how the seed sellers describe them. And my number one criterion is decent production.

Gadeneer

Last edited by Gardeneer; November 26, 2015 at 04:02 AM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2015   #73
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My first garden to plant will be the high tunnel. There are three rows. I'm thinking two of the three rows will be Titan Red and Taxi, both determinates.

And then the back row can be hybrid v heirloom smackdown. Cosmonaut Volkov and Tarasenko 6 shall battle Marbonne F1 and Rebelski F1 to see if I quit growing hybrids altogether.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2015   #74
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I thought that it was way too early to be making grow lists, but it's super cold and there's 4 inches of snow on the ground, so what else am I going to do? My tentative grow list is as follows:

# plants, variety name
---------------------------
12, HX-3
12, HX-13
12, HX-14
12, HX-15
06, HX-16
36, HX-9 (placing a lot of hope on this one)
The above are for my promiscuous pollination project.

The following 2 are also from the promiscuous pollination project, but are being grown primarily as market tomatoes.
30, DXX-M (6 plants from each of 5 mothers)
36, LX-M (6 plants from each of 6 mothers)

6, Sun-4
6, Sun-2

These 4 are my early market tomatoes.
12, Potato Leaved Bradley
12, Fern-leaved slicer
24, Best of Jagodka
36, Earliest landrace slicer

3, LA3696
3, From Orange Banana
3, yellow pear
6, large yellow determinate

I was really impressed with these two last growing season.
12, Wild Cross -- Orange cherry
12, Wild Cross -- Zebra

All of the above are seeds from my garden last growing season. The following are from varieties being introduced to my garden.

10, Lycospersicon glandulosum

Hoping to grow S. Habrochaites and some inter-species crosses. I can't currently find the seeds I thought that I had for them.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2015   #75
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Ed of Somis, I'm selling lots of plants this year to neighbors, friends, and family who have asked me to grow them.

I plan on canning the rest or most of the rest of what I grow

I just like tomatoes! And lots of varieties makes life interesting.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote