Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 6, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Cherry/Small Tomatoes

I'm starting this thread because of how many cherry tomatoes I am growing this year. Growing over 100 tomato plants is all-new-to-me. I hope that all of you share pictures of your cherry size and small type tomatoes on any thread here at Tomatoville, but feel free to post pictures and thoughts on this thread as well. I will be adding a lot more pictures as the year progresses.

The pic below is of tomatoes that are producing for us now. I'll post this and edit it to add a few comments.

The two oblong tomatoes on the uppermost left side are Juliet F1. The center top is a Riesentraube - this one is valentine heart shaped with a nipple - I wish I could market them around Feb 14. Most of the yellowish-orange ones are Sungolds The mini yellow ones are Russian Mini Yellow. There's Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blue, an Ambrosia Red, and a Banana Legs walked over because it is a camera hog - it's a paste tomato. All those little red ones are Matt's Wild. I can't wait to try Texas Wild, but I don't have seeds for it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0045.JPG (51.3 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 6, 2015 at 12:56 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #2
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Those look good Salt!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #3
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Nice... what are your impressions after tasting?

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

When the varieties first started producing - it was during all the rain we had. All of them basically tasted washed out / not much taste. This is the start of the sixth day of sunshine without rain, and the Sungold are tasting sweet. Matt's Wild Cherry has that old fashioned taste that a lot of larger OP varieties have. My favorite three so far are Riesentraube, Porter, and Medovaya Kaplya. I like tomatoes with a tomatoey taste. I wish I could explain that better.

I'm finding that I like larger cherry types more than the smaller varieties.

As for production, early heavy producers in our garden are Sungold F1 and Matt's Wild Cherry.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Matt's Wild Cherry has that old fashioned taste that a lot of larger OP varieties have. My favorite three so far are Riesentraube, Porter, and Medovaya Kaplya. I like tomatoes with a tomatoey taste. I wish I could explain that better.

I wasn't a big fan cherries because most that I've had an opportunity to sample are lacking the "tomatoey" taste I prefer as well, and many are sweet. I'll have to give Matt's Wild a shot someday. I do have one that I grow every year which came from Franchi several years back. It was simply labeled as a cherry with no variety name and is different from their current cherry offering from what I can tell. The plant is a monster that tries to take over my garden, but it always delivers that tomatoey taste I love.

It'll be weeks before I have any ripe tomatoes. Enjoy your harvest!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #6
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Looks like you have some Indigo Rose in there also??? Love the cherry type but keep it to 3 or 4 plants in our garden. Only 2 of us to feed and they put off a massive amount. This year we have Indigo Rose (1st time growing), Sweet 100 and Juliet (1st time on these also).
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #7
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Matt's Wild Cherry has that old fashioned taste that a lot of larger OP varieties have. My favorite three so far are Riesentraube, Porter, and Medovaya Kaplya. I like tomatoes with a tomatoey taste. I wish I could explain that better.

I'm finding that I like larger cherry types more than the smaller varieties.

As for production, early heavy producers in our garden are Sungold F1 and Matt's Wild Cherry.

That's good to know as I want to try cherries with a more tomatoey taste too. Thanks for the info!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Carbon Copy also has a big tomato taste.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #9
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

This batch includes Galinas, Sungold, Sun Peach, Indigo Kumquat, Orange Zinger, Bumble Sunrise, Sweet Chelsea, Rosella and Matina, etc.

gdaddybill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cherry tomatoes_sink_Cropped_Blog.jpg (373.5 KB, 83 views)
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote