Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 8, 2017   #211
crankyoldfart
Tomatovillian™

I bought a gallon of regular Chlorox just last week at Walmart. I thought I checked the concentration when I was in the store but apparently not. It is also 6%, with a manufacture date of June 21, 2017.
crankyoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017   #212
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Your pictures DO! prove your suggestions.Beautiful plants.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #213
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It has been threatening rain for the last few days with lots of clouds and nearly 100% humidity and yesterday it came starting about 4 am and it rained off and on most of the day. I went out this morning planning on fertilizing my bell peppers and found once again that Early Blight had come in big time with the rain. Even my newest bed with young plants was hit hard by it and there was no sign of it on either of my last two beds planted then all of a sudden it is on nearly every tomato plant. Needless to say I spent a couple of hours cutting off the worst of it and spraying everything down with the bleach spray. It should have had time to dry since the sun is just now showing good. Luckily for me it was a bit late getting here this morning or I would have had to wait to spray the bleach. I guess I will follow up with some Daconil later because the copper that was put on just a few days ago did nothing to stop the EB. I had used copper because I was getting some Gray mold and spot or speck diseases on a few plants and with no sign of EB I thought it was the best option. Seems like I frequently guess wrong on that choice.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #214
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Bummer Bill.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017   #215
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Bummer Bill.
This has been the worst year for EB in all the years I have been growing tomatoes. It usually isn't much of a problem except on just one or two varieties that seem more prone to it. This year it has hit almost every variety to some degree or another.

Bill
Old July 19, 2017   #216
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I was out early this morning spraying with Daconil and observing what the bleach spray did. I had a fair amount of gray mold on some of my black tomatoes and some speck and spot diseases that all shriveled from the spray but none of my new growth showed any damage from the spray despite me doing it at 8 am yesterday. I hope the Daconil will help with the EB and the speck and spot diseases. What would really help is for it not to rain for a couple of days.

Bill
Old July 20, 2017   #217
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Bill, do you think bleach spray would kill mites on my watermelon?

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 20, 2017   #218
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Bill, do you think bleach spray would kill mites on my watermelon?
Absolutely not. It is far too mild to affect them. I use the bleach spray regularly and have never seen it have a detrimental affect on mites or even aphids. You will need something far more toxic to get rid of those little buggers. I used the Permethrin, Dawn and DE combo on my cantaloupes which had mites and whiteflies and it helped a great deal. Spraying the underside of any melon leaves is hard to do with any thoroughness and if you don't get the undersides you won't bother the mites too much. One really good thing it did was totally stopped the damaging pickle worms on both my cantaloupes and cucumbers, which surprised me.

Bill
Old July 20, 2017   #219
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any permethrin. I do have Sevin but haven't used it yet. I don't really want to kill everything around, especially since it is so hot out there I am not so sure the good guys would come back soon enough. I have Pure Neem oil I have been spraying with some DE in it, but doesn't seem to be getting it under control.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 20, 2017   #220
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This thread needs to be a sticky.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017   #221
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This thread needs to be a sticky.
Worth
Agreed

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 21, 2017   #222
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Bill, I remembered I had purchased some Organicide 3 n 1, I sprayed that this morning.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 22, 2017   #223
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Bill, I remembered I had purchased some Organicide 3 n 1, I sprayed that this morning.

Well if it doesn't work go out and get a quart of Permethrin 10% and make sure it is the livestock version and not the termite one. Living in a hot place like you do you are going to need it either this year or next. Mites are almost always a problem at least once during a summer if not a lot more. Having what it takes to stop them on hand is critical in getting them under control. You really can't afford to mess around with them because they will get so bad and cause so much damage so quickly. The worse the infestation the more trouble it is to stop them and get them under control.

I have been suffering from a severe upper respiratory illness for the past 7 weeks and it stopped me from doing the regular fungicide spraying with the frequency that is required and I didn't use the bleach spray like I should have during all that rain. The result has become clear to me after the last and only really thorough bleach spraying that I have done. I was out yesterday morning and evening trying to remove the seriously damaged leaves that resulted from all the infections that had taken hold. Most of my plants have few leaves left on them. All my black tomatoes had serious gray mold and the bleach showed me just how bad it was. I also have some speck and spot problems that were severe on many plants and the EB problem was just terrible on most varieties. Diseases need to be taken seriously by regular fungicide preventive sprays and quick reaction to outbreaks or like mites they will do serious and sometimes fatal damage to plants. I have a good excuse in having been so sick but just like with the plant diseases I waited far too long to go to the doctor and get the problem correctly treated and so made it much worse.

I am in serious doubt as to whether my summer set out plants will survive my neglect this year. I am trying to fix the problems that I helped create by neglecting to do what was necessary for much too long. The last two days have topped out over 100 and that means there is precious little time in the morning and evening when I am able to do anything in the garden. With that heat and nearly bare plants the fruit on them has no protection and much of it will suffer seriously from this hot sun. I do have enough survivors of my mid summer grafting to set out one more bed if I can get it ready for planting in this awful heat.

Bill
Old July 22, 2017   #224
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Wow Bill, sorry to hear about all your troubles. I'll definitely pick up some permethrin. I know I checked the tractor supply last time I was there and it was out of stock. There are no other places that sell it around here.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 22, 2017   #225
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Bill:

This has been - by far - the best ever season for squash thanks to your advice on:

1) bleach spray - it's worked wonders
2) sevin around the stem for vine borers

I've never had such pretty, big plants. And, they are still alive and not wilting from the borers.

My wife requested more squash this year - she's gotten it with more to come.

Jeff

P.S. Feel free to send some rain this way.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleach spray