Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 23, 2006   #1
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Hardening?

Wonder if anyone would make suggestions for newbies about hardening seedlings? I start putting them outside if the temp is above 40, beginning for 30 minutes and increasing each day for up to 2 weeks before transplant time. Comments/suggestions?

Lisa
Old February 23, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, that should be fine and is pretty much how I harden off. I do like to be especially careful even in regards to temps the first couple of days -- for example, I probably wouldn't expose seedlings to 40F temps their very first day or two outside.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #3
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Ive killed more seedlings than I probably want to admit. id use a fan on them inside if you can sometimes, then when you start taking them outside, use some Reemay or a windblock if it is really breezy (this can kill plants quickly too)
I dont have the most patience, and will usually just place flats outside in a sheltered place for a few days, then uncover, then place in sun for part day, then in sun all day- making sure I water more if its windy or sunny.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Lisa, to each their own but I would never put out seedlings to harden off at that low a temperature.

Mine are hardened off for the week before I intend to set them out. Of course there's still a chance that there could be frost and driving rains and even snow, but that would be exceeedlingly rare since I sow my seeds knowing that I can't put out plants where I live until after June 1.

Are you taking them back inside each night? If you are, all you're doing is reversing the adaptaion that you want to induce with respect to UV light intensity, to cooler temps and if you fertilize them or in any way coddle them that's not good either. I actually hold back on water to toughen them up as well.

The whole purpose of hardening off can be equated with tough love, in that the purpose is to acclimate them to outside conditions with kindness but purpose.
Old February 26, 2006   #5
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tips and advise.

I have always been rather lazy when it comes to hardening; putting the plants out an hour or two each day for at least one week before planting time (if I remembered to do it at all). I wanted to do a better job of it this year to see if it would be beneficial. My tomatoes have always survived, but I have killed many brassicas due to wind damage.

I've just recently purchased a portable greenhouse, so I am putting the plants in there for hardening, and yes, I am bringing them in each night. Temps are still dipping below freezing at night here. My light stand is a pretty constant 68 degrees. I try to put my plants outside when the conditions in the greenhouse match that. I have only fertilized with very weak fish emulsion once.

My goal is to get about 40 plants in the ground early with WOWs; that is why I am already hardening plants. Others I will pot in hanging baskets and pots and keep indoors until conditions are right outside, meanwhile continuing to put them in the greenhouse for as much natural light as is available.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Lisa