Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 8, 2019   #1
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic 2019

Been busy but I wanted to get some pics on here.

Planted starting last fall around Halloween and finished up in the middle of November.

Have about 16,000 plants. Chesnock, Music, German extra hardy, Romanian Red, and small trials (maybe 100 plants each) of Turbans Tzan and Thai Fire.

2 plantings went into two 14'x100' caterpillar tunnels with the hope they would be earlier from being under cover. I put 4 beds (3 rows of plants in each bed) in each tunnel. I dropped the sides in late January to get things warming up. The plants are huge compared to the same varieties out in the field. Not sure if they will just big larger bulbs or if I will get earliness compared to the ones outside.
The little bit of green you see in the walkways is brown mustard that I planted in February. My hope is to not only get some cover to prevent weeds in the walkways, but get some wireworm repelling after I mow it down in a before bulbs start sizing up. The mustard I picked has high bio-fumigant compounds. We'll see.
Not pictured are two more plots that were planted last. They total 8 beds 100' long, so 2,400 row feet. They look great, though a tad shorter than the earlier planted stuff. There was less plant above ground over the winter, so less cold damage. Thinking about planting everything a week later this fall.

garlic b 4-7-19.jpg

garlic a 4-7-19.jpg

garlic d 4-7-19.jpg

garlic c 4-7-19.jpg

Garlic in tunnel from 3-26:

garlic tunnel 3-26-19.jpg

Last edited by PureHarvest; April 8, 2019 at 07:28 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote