Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 20, 2017   #1
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there a list of BER NEVER varieties ?

Hi all ...

I was wondering if there was a list of "BER Never " Varieties of Tomatoes .

It would be interesting to note ....
Old July 20, 2017   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

Isn't BER more of a cultural issue than a variety issue? Poor watering - too much, too little?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #3
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Isn't BER more of a cultural issue than a variety issue? Poor watering - too much, too little?
I think the uneven cultural "practice " doesn't help ...but not all varieties are the same

when it come to BER .

I just would like to identify some well know ...."BER NEVER " varieties .

I quote Dr. Carolyn .......From 2001 (Victory Seeds site ?)

"Not all varieties of tomatoes get BER. Some never do, others are horrible. That's not surprising since certainly there are slight physiological differences between varieties. After all, almost all garden tomatoes, with the exception of the currant tomatoes are in the same genus and species, Lycopersicon lycopersicum. And we humans are all in the same species, Homo sapiens, var. sapiens....and look how different some of our physiologies are. Whoa!
So, BER is a physiological condition, cannot be cured, and current literature data suggests it cannot be prevented. It occurs on some, but not all varieties of tomatoes, is usually seen early in the season and then stops, for most folks. It would be nice to say that you could even out your watering, prevent droughts and heavy rainfalls, ensure even and not rapid growth of plants and not disturb the roots by shallow cultivating. But on a practical basis, I think ............" etc.
Old July 20, 2017   #4
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Cherry tomatoes don't get them, little globes seem to resist, as well as hybrids. Get past that and it's conditions nearly every time to my way of thinking. And some just don't like containers.

Fed and watered exactly in the same way, same mix and 15 gal pot size. Last year's two Rose De Berne had BER on 19 of 20 toms. Right beside them, two Crnkovic Yugoslavian with much larger toms and zero BER. The kicker was the RDB's looked great, nice green with no leaf curl. The Crnkovic looked dead, curled and silvery, but every cluster had perfect fruit. Almost like it uses every bit of energy toward tomato development and sacrifices the foliage.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

And I forgot to add my point. That I'm sure plenty of people grow Rose De Berne with no problem, but my conditions seem to make the BER impossible.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

As for the quote from me that Black Bear noted above in a post, for me, after growing 4000 plus varieties I have never seen BER on any heart varieties nor on any cherry tomatoes.

And that goes for both external BER as well as internal BER.

Carolyn
Old July 20, 2017   #7
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Are you having BER problems now or just a conversational/curiosity question?

If I was having trouble I would note down the ones affected. I rarely see it....maybe
once/twice a season and usually early mid August when I am knee deep in ripe toms
so I only remember saying to myself once, "cool, BER!". Too many at that time to care.

But never on cherries or my hearts so Carolyn confirms that. Good to know.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Ricky, The Rose de Berne that I grew one year had BER while other varieties did not. For that reason, I decided not to grow RdeB again

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The varieties I saw BER on and in this year were mostly Pink When Ripe slicer varieties.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #10
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

La Roma II from a local nursery: I don't know whose seeds they use. But I bought a bunch of these plants on clearance last year and literally crammed too many of them into big pots. Even so, they took off and made vast quantities of roma tomatoes with AMAZINGLY little BER except right at the start. I made these tomatoes into sauce. But my mom says they were good in salads, too. Everything I have read online gives no praise whatsoever to the flavor of La Roma II. But they were disease resistant, easy keepers, and they made loads of roma tomatoes. I reckon this is why that particular nursery raises so many La Roma II plants. They seem to thrive and produce in this particular region. I opted to go with exclusively San Marzano this year.

San Marzano: Last year's were the Worst plants I've had for BER. One of my 3 San Marzanos never outgrew its BER issues and made nothing buy BER tomatoes. The other 2 did okay after they matured. None of these plants big producers, and they were also late in the season. So I am growing many of them from seed this summer to get enough San Marzanos.

Bonnie Heinz Super Roma (Heinz 8009) - Some BER problems early in the season and very late in the season. It was acceptably BER-free for the most part. But I didn't like this tomato. Very dense and hard with thick skin and was not great for sauce & cooking. Will not buy this one again. Might be okay for the canning factories, but was a waste of space and fertilizer for me.

eta: Some red oxheart that I grew from seeds a co-worker got from Italy: No BER. There might have been one or two tomatoes very late in the season when temps were getting cold enough to interfere with setting fruit. But was essentially BER-free. I battled Septoria leaf spot like crazy on these plants, though. Never could eradicate it, but I did get many real nice tomatoes from these anyhow.

Last edited by MadCow333; July 20, 2017 at 05:50 PM.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #11
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Are you having BER problems now or just a conversational/curiosity question?

If I was having trouble I would note down the ones affected. I rarely see it....maybe
once/twice a season and usually early mid August when I am knee deep in ripe toms
so I only remember saying to myself once, "cool, BER!". Too many at that time to care.

But never on cherries or my hearts so Carolyn confirms that. Good to know.
For me it is not much of a trouble ever ...once every 2 years ..

I have a couple early fruit ....colour/ripen ......they show BER ....I remove them

and the next fruit are Just fine etc. etc.

Not to be difficult or anything ....but I am Growing Zolotoe Serdtse a heart ..

...It is absolutely LOADED with heart shaped fruit ...and It looks to be a very good producer .... With 4 plants going ....I had a few BER at first so removed them and everything went good after that .....Plants are Loaded !

We did have an extra Hot spell early season ...which did not help I think.

There are some varieties that never get BER or even have problems with cracking
Splitting for that matter ........I would give Matina/Tamina as one example .
Old July 20, 2017   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

BER is a figment of your imagination brought on by moldy bread or maybe an under cooked potato.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #13
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
BER is a figment of your imagination brought on by moldy bread or maybe an under cooked potato.

Worth
Really?
Old July 20, 2017   #14
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Worth has been working outside in the sweltering heat too long, lol!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sort of robbed it from Charles Dickens and A Christmas Carol when Jacob Marley showed up.
Cant remember what the exact words were.
Time to read again.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote