Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 25, 2017   #31
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Up to 12" high plant, fruit ideally about 1" give or take. I could give up the multiflora if necessary.
Oxheart cherry? Is it Tomatoberry? That's the only one I could find. And thank you for the suggestions.
I will name it Lorraine's Heart, after my mother. She's 86 and my good friend; we garden together.

Nan
Yes! It was Tomatoberry F1. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

I think the smallest oxheart I've grown was an Early Girl F2 that had both oxheart and round tomatoes on the same plant. They weren't cherry sized, though (maybe 5oz). I saved seeds from an oxheart-shaped fruit on it. I'm not sure if it's genetic, though. I think residual herbicides from previous years in the soil may have been responsible, since I've never heard of oxhearts coming from Early Girl before. A number of tomatoes I've grown in ground like that have had uncharacteristic shapes. However, usually the strange shapes come first and go away later. The first fruits on this plant were round, and it grew both shapes at about the same time.

I wonder why there aren't many oxheart cherries. Maybe we could cross Spoon (or else a multiflora cherry) with an oxheart (maybe Cuor Di Bue or Anna Russian) or something, stabilize the shape and a cherry fruit size, and then cross that with a micro.

That sounds like a fine choice for the name.

Last edited by shule1; February 25, 2017 at 07:32 PM.

Tags
breeding , crossing , ideas