Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 3, 2015   #286
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have flowers on one of the 2 micros. I also have small tomatoes on a couple of the mystery regular size plants from the same batch of seed. Waiting for a ripe one.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #287
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I had to harden them off and take them outside so I could use my lights to start other seeds.

Almost all of the plants had small red tomatoes. There were two that had the pointed tomato but these did not have the curled leaves.

Most of the tomatoes were really tart and a couple of them with larger tomatoes were mealy. There were 4 that I really liked and those are the ones I have saved seeds from. I will include details on all of them when I mail you seeds.

My plan is to only have two other people help me grow out since I know I can rely on them to get data and tomatoes to save seeds from. I plan to start some to grow outside in the fall like I do normal tomatoes I will start some later to grow indoors in the winter. I also want to grow some in my homemade 5 gallon SWCs. As much as I love all the tomatoes from the Dwarf Project there is still not one that I consider a good cherry dwarf. I would love one of these micros to fill that gap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Micro Outside.jpg (67.5 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg Micro Sliced.jpg (33.8 KB, 262 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #288
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Excellent!

Many thanks, team micro! Nice winter results, all around so far, and more still to go. Hope we can draft even more dedicated folks in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I had to harden them off and take them outside so I could use my lights to start other seeds.

Almost all of the plants had small red tomatoes. There were two that had the pointed tomato but these did not have the curled leaves.

Most of the tomatoes were really tart and a couple of them with larger tomatoes were mealy. There were 4 that I really liked and those are the ones I have saved seeds from. I will include details on all of them when I mail you seeds.

My plan is to only have two other people help me grow out since I know I can rely on them to get data and tomatoes to save seeds from. I plan to start some to grow outside in the fall like I do normal tomatoes I will start some later to grow indoors in the winter. I also want to grow some in my homemade 5 gallon SWCs. As much as I love all the tomatoes from the Dwarf Project there is still not one that I consider a good cherry dwarf. I would love one of these micros to fill that gap.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #289
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Here are a couple of photos of plant #1 - the primary plant I intend to carry forward to the F4 generation. One photo is before anything ripened, the second photo is after I had picked over 150 fruits from it. The main stem topped out at about 14"-15". It produced a side shoot that reached about 17" when staked vertically. That plant is one that started setting new flowers as the earlier fruits were ripening. Most of the plants haven't put out the new blossoms like this one. The third photo shows the fruit shape and color. There is no distinguishable (at least by me) difference in fruit color, size or shape from one plant to the other, with the exception of a few of the plants that ripened some of the tiny ones I mentioned earlier. Some of the fruit have a tiny nipple on the blossom end and the rest are round. Those in the photo are about as prominent as the nipple gets. The nipple is not plant specific - some have it and some don't across all the plants. I am quite sure they are determinate, as their main stem ends with a flower cluster - sometimes a huge umbrella of flowers.

They are all winding down considerably, although a few seem to be trying to put out new flowers like this one. They are all putting out some new growth in the form of new suckers, but the growth is extremely slow. I have clipped off and potted healthy suckers from a few to see what a clone does. I didn't do anything except stick the stem in a cup of moist potting soil. It has been a week and a half and they have shown no sign of wilting - nor any new growth. We'll see.

Chris - anything else you'd like to see from or about these? They are about to lose their place and prominence as I move ahead with the F4s and the rest of my summer projects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150218-#1-13 inch.jpg (388.3 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150321_114847273_HDR.jpg (333.7 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg MMF Shape.jpg (164.7 KB, 250 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #290
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Amazing work! Thanks for sharing all your hard work.

Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #291
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Nope! Have at the F4s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Here are a couple of photos of plant #1 - the primary plant I intend to carry forward to the F4 generation. One photo is before anything ripened, the second photo is after I had picked over 150 fruits from it. The main stem topped out at about 14"-15". It produced a side shoot that reached about 17" when staked vertically. That plant is one that started setting new flowers as the earlier fruits were ripening. Most of the plants haven't put out the new blossoms like this one. The third photo shows the fruit shape and color. There is no distinguishable (at least by me) difference in fruit color, size or shape from one plant to the other, with the exception of a few of the plants that ripened some of the tiny ones I mentioned earlier. Some of the fruit have a tiny nipple on the blossom end and the rest are round. Those in the photo are about as prominent as the nipple gets. The nipple is not plant specific - some have it and some don't across all the plants. I am quite sure they are determinate, as their main stem ends with a flower cluster - sometimes a huge umbrella of flowers.

They are all winding down considerably, although a few seem to be trying to put out new flowers like this one. They are all putting out some new growth in the form of new suckers, but the growth is extremely slow. I have clipped off and potted healthy suckers from a few to see what a clone does. I didn't do anything except stick the stem in a cup of moist potting soil. It has been a week and a half and they have shown no sign of wilting - nor any new growth. We'll see.

Chris - anything else you'd like to see from or about these? They are about to lose their place and prominence as I move ahead with the F4s and the rest of my summer projects.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old April 12, 2015   #292
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Chris,
Moved these out to the greenhouse yesterday. Pretty darn fine looking Kitchen grown tomatoes if I do say so myself. No new blooms, determinate cherries ripening up fairly quickly. They like to sprawl and would be cute in a basket. All the round fruit are quite tart but still a treat at this time of year and the oval ones on the more tightly rolled leaf plant are better. sweeter and more tomatoey flavour. I wonder if all would be better grown outdoors instead of in my kitchen... seems likely
here's some pics from today.
Karen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micro1.jpg (116.3 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg micro2.jpg (111.4 KB, 218 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #293
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I would say they look awesome! Seems most of the progeny from that cross are pretty tart. I am wondering if it is a cross I should continue with. So, I'd say save seed of the sweetest/best one (I like the oval shape to!) to continue with if you so desire.

I will have other crosses that should stay that size that might give better fruit. Will send you some in the fall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Hi Chris,
Moved these out to the greenhouse yesterday. Pretty darn fine looking Kitchen grown tomatoes if I do say so myself. No new blooms, determinate cherries ripening up fairly quickly. They like to sprawl and would be cute in a basket. All the round fruit are quite tart but still a treat at this time of year and the oval ones on the more tightly rolled leaf plant are better. sweeter and more tomatoey flavour. I wonder if all would be better grown outdoors instead of in my kitchen... seems likely
here's some pics from today.
Karen

Old April 12, 2015   #294
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

The flavor did improve for the ones that were really tart once they were outside. I will be interested to see if Karen's do too. It does seem to take these tomatoes longer to ripen than anything other tomatoes I have grown. I have one plant left that seems to be able to take Florida's heat and humidity and I really want to save seeds from it but the tomatoes seem determined to stay green.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #295
Virtex
Tomatovillian™

Have you released any of your crosses yet? My hydroponics grow of red robin and Tatiana is quickly ripening and I want to try some other more tasty micros, sounds like you got some good ones going.

Thank you,

- Scott
Virtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2015   #296
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Ok Chris i got 2 ripe tomatoes off of the one plant that i kept that was not a micro dwarf. This plant seemed to have the typical sungold smell so it was the only full size plant that i kept from this batch. The tomatoes had a really nice sweet/acid flavor. They did not tast like sungold but were definitely good. As for the micro dwarfs out of 30 only 2 were true to type. I am still waiting to get a ripe fruit but they are setting tomatoes like crazy. Here's a pic of the 2 ripe tomatoes from the full size plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img20150515_121031.jpg (181.4 KB, 166 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; May 19, 2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 19, 2015   #297
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Hi. I'm not sure what you mean by "As for the micro dwarfs out of 30 only 2 were true to type" since this line is still segregating. Do you have pictures of all of them?

Old May 20, 2015   #298
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

No no pics. Of the 30 plants i started only 2 of them were micro. The other 28 were full size plants. If you go back to post 267 there is a pic of one tray i had. That tray had 18 plants and of those 18 only 2 were micro. The other tray i had only had 12 plants and none of them turned out micro. I only grew 1 of the full size plants and never really gave it a fare chance. It never left a 4 inch pot. The 2 tomatoes from the 1 full size plant i grew are in the pic above post 296. It only made two and i tossed it. Now the 2 micro plants are setting fruit like little champions but none have ripened yet. These plants are not showing any of the leaf roll like some of the pics above in this thread. Here is a pic of the 2 micros.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img20150519_214948.jpg (337.4 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; May 20, 2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old May 20, 2015   #299
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Ah, I see what you mean. Not sure why they would segregate that way unless there was also some cross pollination. The F3 was a compact plant, maybe barely a micro. The other thing is that the line you have has Sungold in the parentage (you have Red Robin x Sungold F1). I'm not sure if that has anything to do with what we're seeing in the segregation since Sungold seems to be a complex hybrid.

I like the looks of the one on the left. Looks like a determinate? Do either have the Sungold foliage smell? Looking forward to tasting notes! Don't expect a duplicate of Sungold flavor.

Rolled leaves are in crosses with Hardin's Miniature as a parent.

Old June 14, 2015   #300
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Things have been too hectic for me to do much photo taking or posting, but the first photo is of a couple of the F4s that have formed a near perfect canopy of blossoms at about 12" in height. The photo is from above and outside, so it doesn't show how compact the plants are. I am quite sure that is the end of the main stem. They may put out side shoots that grow above this canopy. Most of the last generation did. It looks like these will be as loaded with fruits as the F3s were. I hope they are as tasty.

Another thing I like about them is the absolutely perfect miniature seedlings they produce. Those in the second photo are about 4-5 weeks from planting and are right at the point where they put out their first blossoms. It's fun that they give me an opportunity to play with new plantings and seedlings anytime of the year. I'm going to start a new batch every month or so and see if I can get a continuous stream ripening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150614_180641063 (1024x768).jpg (701.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150614_180915906_HDR (1024x768).jpg (501.5 KB, 130 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote