Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 6, 2019   #1
SeanInVa
Tomatovillian™

Default Delicious growth habits

This past year, I planted one transplant of "Delicious" along with the rest of my tomatoes. It wasn't a big garden, I had a couple "Best Boy"s, a single "Sweetie", a "Roma" and a "Brandywine". All in raised beds, and all near each other.

The seed source was Burpee, and the plant was grown from seed.

I can't describe this plant other than "it went off". The stems were super thick and they looked almost "doubled". An example is attached.

I've never grown a tomato that was so vigorous. But, it took forever to set fruit, and the fruit took forever to ripen. I don't think we ever actually got any edible fruit from it before Septoria took over.

This picture of green fruit was taken July 20th. Our last frost date is ~April 15th, and these went in the ground about a week before that. That's ~90+ days.

I did add some chicken manure to the garden beds in the winter. The rest of the 'maters ripened as expected (as you can see - "Sweetie" is in the picture there, with a ripening Best Boy in the far back) - but is it possible this was a mutant, or that there was an overload of nitrogen for this plant?

I want to try this one again, but if it performs the same, there is really no point! The green fruits were large, as expected, but we didn't get to enjoy any of them

Anyone else have experience with this particular variety? Is my experience with this one normal, or?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delicious_stem.jpg (212.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg delicious_fruit.jpg (289.7 KB, 48 views)
SeanInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here is your answer see the first listing from tville,it's called fasciation

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...60.eXjE73PQcPY

Carolyn